You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Photo is 90 degrees COUNTER CLOCKWISE imported into plugins

Hi. I opened a photo I took last night on my cell phone (Motorola MOTO G STYLUS 2020). Photo opens fine in Affinity Photo but when I chose to open it with either ON1 Effects 2021 or TOPAZ 2 plugins, the photo comes up 90 degrees counter clockwise and I saw no controls in either to rotate canvas. I've never had this happen before. Any insight you can provide?

BTW ... I'm on a Macbook Pro Mid 2012, i7, 8BG RAM, 1TB SSD drive, macOS CATALINA

Thanks!

Lamont

Affinity Photo - IMAGE 001.jpg

AFFINITY PHOTO - IMAGE 002 with ON1 Photo RAW 2021 Filter.jpg

AFFINITY PHOTO - IMAGE 003 with Topaz Studio 2 Filter.jpg

There is nothing Affinity can do to help with other software. You would be best served by asking questions on forums dedicated to the Phone or the other software.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Well ... that's not totally true. Which is why forums are important. There are often, if not always, caveats and quirks with platforms, programs and plugins. I deal with it all the time as a multimedia producer. Sometimes it's just a small tip to fix something. Sometimes it's the host, sometimes not. When Affinity wrote code to be compatible with other plugins OR they with Affinity, they had to make sure that it was seamless, so saying it's NOT an issue from Affinity is not a given. The point is to inquire to figure it out. INCLUDING the makers of the plugins. What's strange is that (1) I have never had this issue in my editing, (2) It's happening exactly the same with TWO different plugin companies, (3) the only other variable new to my equation is the phone that took the photo.

Which is why I posted. I didn't blame Affinity. I just stated that it happened as I opened the photo INSIDE of Affinity. Has anyone had rotation/orientation issues importing photos from sources? I would think it's something small but forums are a source to ask.

Thanks .. Lamont

I tried with my iPhone, Affinity opened the heic file correctly oriented and so did ON1 Effects 2021 plugin so it's probably the data written to the image that the plugins are having issue with. There are several plugins that don't display correctly with Affinity but it's a hard one to nail down. One has to realise that these plugins were written with Photoshop in mind, not Affinity.

Have you tried running ON1 Effects standalone and seeing how the image is displayed, if it displays how it does in affinity you pretty much have your answer in so much as it's the app not Affinity that has issue with the image. If it displays correctly oriented theres a possibility Affinity is messing the image up as it opens the plugin.

You can always upload one of your images and I can see if it misbehaves on my system, I am running High Sierra.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I find that rasterizing the image (Layer > Rasterize) before calling the plugin usually solves this problem.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

17 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I find that rasterizing the image (Layer > Rasterize) before calling the plugin usually solves this problem.

John

So does rasterising remove any exif data from the image?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

So does rasterising remove any exif data from the image?

I've no idea, but I understand that there is a flag in the exif data that indicates the orientation. Rasterizing might reset this flag.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630