You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Enable drag & up+down with mouse on all input fields to change values

You can drag left&right on the title of many input field to change the value of the field. But not all input fields have a label.

1. I suggest to use the whole input field as a target for the drag action, like many other programs do. This will work for all inputs and is easier than using the label. I see no clash of interaction when you take the whole field as a target for the drag action.

2. And to use up+down instead of left&right or make an option to chose your preferred way.  It's much less stress for the hand and fingers to move the mouse up/down. Small left&right drag is more stressful in comparison.

3. Furthermore, add a fine modifier hotkey to make small adjustments more easy (key + drag). Currently Shift makes it even faster.

I almost work exclusively with this way drag up+down on input fields to change values in other programs and I really miss it when using Affinity. It's the next iteration of changing inputs in my opinion.

Just to make sure: Are you aware that many input fields will allow you to use the mouse wheel to adjust them? (Some don't, any more, as it was causing too many problems with accidental changes.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes. Thanks for for input anyhow.

But drag up+down interaction in input fiels is a lot superior to mouse wheel to change values. Also because you can combine it with a modifer key for detail adjustment. When you got used to that most input modification methods feel outdated. Especially when working hours with a UI.

I like a free spinning mouse wheel for scrolling and general zoom, but for small adjustments it's straining for the finger when used a lot. And it's slower, because you need more small precise movement with the finger, compared to just dragging on a field with a fluid movement of the mouse. You have a higher resolution when changing via drag too, because you have a higher movment area with the mouse. It's like using a small fader vs. a larger one.