You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unsupported Language Error (Windows)

I've searched for solutions to this on the forums, but any results found don't seem to apply to my case.

I keep getting an :Unsupported Languages" error message when I attempt to spell check in Photo (though the same result appears in Designer and Publisher). I'm in Australia and the Language on my PC is set to English Australian. I have a screenshot of this error message, including sample text, and settings in the Character/Language panel.  A second screenshot shows my Dictionaries directory. The files were downloaded from the Libre Office Repository as suggested by How do I add additional Dictionaries to Affinity Publisher? post.

In fact when I first checked that Directory there were NO dictionary files in it, despite a claim that US and UK dictionaries are installed by standard!  This was odd as I recall when I first installed Affinity Photo that I tested the Spell checking and it worked. I haven't deleted or reinstalled any of the programs, though I have updated them to the current versions.

So, I have an Australian English dictionary in the right directory and it's not being recognised.  I noticed that the setting under tools  indicates that a restart is required. I had assumed that this was exiting and restarting the application but that seems to have no effect. Should I restart my PC as well?

I need some help on this, thanks.

2022-05-06_170141.jpg

2022-05-06_165426.jpg

2022-05-06_172756.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Laura Ess,

In your screenshot it shows the en_Au.dic and .aff files just in the root 'Dictionaries' folder when they should be in their own folder. Have you tried creating an 'en_AU' folder within the C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries directory, moving the two files into this folder, restarting and then trying again?