You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Patch Tool Jumps to Different Spot After Selecting

The patch tool in the Photo editor within Publisher will not work properly.  It is very frustrating.  When I make my selection with the tool, it immediately jumps to a different place (usually about an inch to the left and up a bit).  So, it is useless.  What could be causing this problem and is it fixable? I have updated to the latest version of Photo, and the problem persists.  Thank you for your input!

• Staff

Hi @Kodimac,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I've tested this tool here and it appears to be working correctly for me, both within Photo standalone and the Photo Persona within Publisher.

Could you please provide a screen recording showing the issue you're referring to?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Perhaps the document that you're working on has a Bleed assigned?

If so, there's a known issue (bug) with pixel selections offsetting up and to the left by the amount of the bleed. (Though, I would expect, usually, the bleed to be around 3mm not around an inch. And I think Bleed is usually symmetric?)

You can remove the Bleed temporarily as a workaround, if that's the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Kodimac,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I've tested this tool here and it appears to be working correctly for me, both within Photo standalone and the Photo Persona within Publisher.

Could you please provide a screen recording showing the issue you're referring to?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

@Dan C I also occasionally come across this issue. I can say it's random but deeply annoying if you are working on huge images.

Am using Dell desktop with the following specs: 

Windows 10 Pro (fully updated)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz   2.81 GHz
Ram 12Gig

image.png

• Staff

Sorry to hear this @WKansepa - are you referring to the tool in Affinity Photo standalone, or whilst in the Publisher Persona?

As Walt has mentioned above, there is a known issue with pixel selections in documents which have bleed enabled, so this could explain the occasional nature of the issue.

If possible, a screen recording showing this would certainly be helpful - as I have tested this with multiple documents in both apps (ensuring bleed is disabled) and have yet been able to replicate this issue!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear this @WKansepa - are you referring to the tool in Affinity Photo standalone, or whilst in the Publisher Persona?

As Walt has mentioned above, there is a known issue with pixel selections in documents which have bleed enabled, so this could explain the occasional nature of the issue.

If possible, a screen recording showing this would certainly be helpful - as I have tested this with multiple documents in both apps (ensuring bleed is disabled) and have yet been able to replicate this issue!

@Dan C -this is happening in the Publisher Persona.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me - I'm only able to replicate this when bleed is enabled, and I see very similar results as was originally reported (the below is using 10mm of bleed in an A4 doc):

13 hours ago, Kodimac said:

When I make my selection with the tool, it immediately jumps to a different place (usually about an inch to the left and up a bit).

4ea009f4102dad6307ca74c21b07eb94.gif

However disabling bleed, this works as expected every time, on both Placed images and images opened directly as a new document.

If you're able to replicate this with bleed disabled then I'm going to need a screen recording or document showing this, so I can log it with our developers :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Oh, my!  Forum help is amazing!  I learned how to do a screen recording and made one to share, and then saw the other posts suggesting it was the bleed setting causing the problem.  Problem solved!  Works fine with bleed off.  So, I learned a new skill AND I learned how to fix a problem!  Affinity for the win.  Thanks everyone!