You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I created a master using 3 other masters.

Master one is the top navigation and masters two and three handle other hyperlinked navigation. I'm using the three masters individually on some pages.

However, I'm using them combined as well – master 4 (M4). I have multiple version of M4 – M4a, M4b, M4c, et. Each M4 has a different set of hyperlinks. Everything works correctly except updating the hyperlinks. 

For M4a - M4f I have the master applied to pages. When the hyperlinks in the master are updated the pages changes as well. This is the desired outcome. 

For Mg - Ml when the hyperlinks on the master are updated the links on the pages with the master applied do not update. Is there a special setting to control the master updating the pages? 

I've looked at Edit Linked and Edit Detached but that seems to be pushing changes upward to the masters not downward. 

Thanks,

Jason

• Staff

Hi @Jason701,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

18 hours ago, Jason701 said:

For Mg - Ml when the hyperlinks on the master are updated the links on the pages with the master applied do not update. Is there a special setting to control the master updating the pages? 

One possible cause of this is that the Master Pages have been 'detached' from the original master previously and are no longer fully 'synchronised' with the Master page that you are updating.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the Layers Studio from a page (not a master page, but a regular spread) using the M4g - M4l master pages?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I've attached screen shots. 

Not sure why one master when I make changes impacts the page and the other master that appears to be setup in the exact same way does not. I'm happy to condense the file and send it. But don't want to share publicly. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 11.19.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 11.19.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 11.19.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 11.22.57 AM.png

• Staff

Thanks for providing those for me, this certainly doesn't appear to be expected behaviour as far as I can tell, so I'd like to request a copy of said file.

Can you please upload this to the below link for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/a1u4ihZDGXzb0slTkXR4

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know. Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
51 minutes ago, Jason701 said:

The file request was closed though. 

Apologies, these are on an automatic timer - I've reopened the above request for you, please let me know once your file has been uploaded :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

@Jason701,

you should really give some notice to Dan C by typing an at symbol then start typing the name, a menu should appear and you then have to choose the correct name from that.

Or you can quote @Dan C so a notice will be sent to him about being quoted. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Thanks for your file provided @Jason701!

I've tried to replicate the issue reported, but thus far I'm able to add hyperlinks to the picture frame objects on the 31 DAY TABS master, and these correctly update on the pages this master is applied to.

However, when adding hyperlinks to the same objects in the JAN MONTH master, (which has the 31 DAY TABS master applied to it), I don't see the changes update on the non-master pages, which is to be expected.

For example, say we have Master A, which is applied to Master B - then Master B is applied to Page 1.
When editing Master A directly, the changes will be applied to both Master B and Page 1.
When editing Master A, but within Master B, the changes won't be applied to Master A directly, or to Page 1 and will only affect the 'local' version of the master on Master B.

Can you please confirm for me, are you editing the 31 DAY TABS master page directly, or are you editing this master page, within another master?

If possible, a quick screen recording showing the steps you're taking and the unwanted result in the sample file you provided for me would be certainly helpful!

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

@Dan C You are correct about JAN MONTH. 

FOR JAN MONTH master thru JUNE MONTH, where those are applied to pages the pages, the hyperlinks on the pages will update.

FOR JULY MONTH. If you apply that master to a couple pages (the file I sent didn't have it applied...sorry) and then update the hyperlink on the JULY MONTH master the updates don't impact the pages. 

I'm happy to send a recording if this info and screen shots don't help. The video was a lot of bouncing from one page to another.😀

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 3.05.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 3.19.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 3.19.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 3.20.01 PM.png

• Staff

Many thanks for the further explanation - I certainly understand now and I'm able to replicate this behaviour here.

I can't see any reason for this not to be working in the July master, as it is in the June master currently, so I'm logging this with our developers for further investigation.

We haven't yet been able to find any 'quick fix' in your file, I've attempted to clear and re-apply masters, both to the master pages and the page itself and I'm still seeing the same behaviour, however our QA team are also looking into this, so I'll be sure to reply here if we have any further suggestions :)

Please note -

Many thanks!