You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does export always default to the previous saved location for export?

Adobe Photoshop used to do this, and I have no idea why they would set it this way and it used to do my head in there too.

I have multiple saved locations for my work. So I open a .afdesign file, do some work on it then export it to .jpg. But it doesn't saved the .jpg in the same location as the file I just opened - which often causes great confusion and consternation, and then I often have to reopen AD to save a random test export .jpg to find out where it saved the last one!

Why?

Why doesn't it just export the .jpg to the location where the file was that I just opened? It will save as an .afdesign file in the same location, but if I export to .jpg then it could end up anywhere, and then I can't find it..

10 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Why doesn't it just export the .jpg to the location where the file was that I just opened?

When working on a project I open many different files from different locations but then export them all to a single project folder. Having them default to exporting to the same folder I opened them from would be a pain in the neck for me as I would have to change the export location for each file to be my project folder.

Maybe, they could add another option in preference for users to decide which way they want it to work

Just for the record this has all been discussed before, so Serif is aware

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Why doesn't it just export the .jpg to the location where the file was that I just opened?

This has been discussed before and my recollection is that the majority of users don't want that.  Personaly, once I get to the point of exporting my images I want them all in a single location, ready to move onto the next stage - having them scattered around with the source files would be a pita!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

I suppose it depends on your workflow, but I normally keep my original files in one folder and put edited files in a different one. If the edited file was saved by default to the same folder as the original there wold be more chance of accidentally overwriting the original file.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

An option would be useful in this instance. That way the software can accommodate everyone 👍

I've got a weird method of working - constantly changing the title of the file and numbering them - then burning them all off onto a DVD. This way I've got plenty of back up and can easily go back if I make a mistake on a layer or something. I know their is a history feature but I just prefer to work this way. It's not a method that works very well with the iPad or moving back and forth between the iPad and Windows.

34 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

An option would be useful in this instance. That way the software can accommodate everyone

I think you'll find there are many Feature Requests for that, already.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1