You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Path now showing black-stroked path under text

I've tried two ways of creating text paths (for adding curved labels on maps). One method was to create a text frame and convert it to a Text Path (Layer > Convert to Text Path) and the other was to draw a path and then click on it with the Artistic Text tool.

In both cases, the text path includes a black stroke below the text. Controls for changing stroke values, such as found in the Appearance and Stroke panels, has no effect on it.

What am I missing?

BTW: my work around is to create a text path in Publisher and then copy-paste in Designer. Not ideal but I'm able to finish this project.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.38.15 AM.png

• Staff

Hi Carta,

I think you should just need to select the curve used for the text path and set the stroke colour to none using the colour panel. If you find this doesn't solve this issue for you please could you provide a sample document with a copy of one of the text frames?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you for the quick reply, Callum.

I tried that but it doesn't affect the stroke. So far, all panels dealing with color, strokes and fills will affect the text (when text is selected).

I can upload the file to Support. How do I do that? Through this forum message?

Steve | Cartagram 

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.50.10 AM.png

2 hours ago, Callum said:

I think you should just need to select the curve used for the text path and set the stroke colour to none using the colour panel.

Like @Carta said, for me the stroke color only affects the stroke color of the text. However, for me in AD Layer > Convert to Text Path always removes the color of the curve, so I do not know why this is happening for @Carta. Same for clicking on the curve using the Artistic Text Tool.

Only in APub can I keep or change the path color, using that app's Text Frame panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi Steve,

This might work only because I have both Publisher and Designer installed, but it seems you have both so give it a go: Select the text.  In the Context toolbar, select the Text Frame option:

1721981344_Screenshot2022-05-04at18_15_13.png.ef9eeeea8b8824ec2d47ef6bf34bcbdb.png

The Text Frame studio panel should appear, from where you can adjust the stroke and fill.

image.png.fe0d937af4885895a26ecdbd59f09d92.png

pbasdf...you did it. That worked great! Thank you so much.

I'm not sure if there's a bug in the AD. But if Callum (Moderator) requests a file, I'll send one.

And also thanks for making me aware of the Text Frame tool. Didn't know it was there...(yeah, I don't thoroughly read the documentation even though for years I wrote documentation for Adobe Illustrator).

Steve | Cartagram

6 minutes ago, Carta said:

I'm not sure if there's a bug in the AD.

AFAIK, creating a Text Path in AD should always removes the color of the curve it was created from, (both stroke & fill) so the real puzzler is why that does not happen for you. This assumes you converted the curve to a text path in AD to begin with, & did not do that APub & then work on it in AD, or copy the text path from another document that created the text path in APub.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The "absence" of the text frame panel is one of the key differences between AD and AP.  It turns out it's there in AD, but can only be accessed from the Context Toolbar if you have Text on a Curve selected.  Standard Text Frames and Artistic Text don't show it as an option, and it's not listed in View -> Studio -> .  But once you have it open, you can dock it and leave it open.

Edited by pbasdf

17 minutes ago, pbasdf said:

It turns out it's there in AD, but can only be accessed from the Context Toolbar if you have Text on a Curve selected.

The developers have said this is a bug in AD & AP & should not be used because it might cauae othee issues, particularly after an update to AD.

Regardless, AD should always remove the color from a curve converted to a text fram or text path.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The developers have said this is a bug in AD & should not be used because it might cauae othee issues, particularly after an update to AD.

Regardless, AD should always remove the color from a curve converted to a text fram or text path.

Noted.  Thanks for the warning.

Update... I created a new document in AD and drew a curved path with the Pen tool. Then, selecting the Artistic Text tool, I clicked on the path and type some words. When I deselected the resulting Text Path, there was not stroke for the path. So it appears that what all of you call the default behavior is still default.

I'm guessing that having build much of the map in AP, before copying and pasting its layers in AD, I may have carried over something in the file (instructions, styling attributes, etc.) that overrode the default for text paths.

I'll make sure next time I start stuff in AD when it's more appropriate to create the item in AD.

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread!

BTW, the 'magic formula' to get the Text Frame item to appear on the Context Toolbar is to convert the curve to a Text Path, not a Text Frame.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, Carta said:

I'm guessing that having build much of the map in AP, before copying and pasting its layers in AD,

If by "AP" you mean Affinity Publisher, note that the forum software interprets "AP" as Affinity Photo & underlines it You can see this if you hover the pointer over AP in any of the posts. For Affinity Publisher you can use APu or APub or the like if you want to abbreviate it.

Affinity Photo 

Oh yeah, I meant Publisher (not Photo). Thanks for notifying me about the abbreviation.

I'm preaching to the choir here but Publisher has been a life-saver for me. It's actually increased the range of projects I handle. Before, with Adobe, I rarely used InDesign because layout projects were few and far between. So no sense in adding that to my subscription. Big fan here of Affinity apps.