You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @fotis575,

I can see in your screen recording that the initial selection with the Move Tool is also selecting the additional curve objects above, which are being grouped.

image.png

Grouping doesn't work based on specific nodes, it is layer based, and therefore the additional layers you selected with the move tool will always be included when grouping, even if you aren't specifically selecting the nodes for these objects.

Using the Move Tool, make sure that only the 4 objects in the centre of your recording are selected, and you will find that only these 4 objects are grouped, without the need for the additional step of selecting the nodes.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

That's correct, unfortunately the Move Tool does not have the same 'lasso' style selection, so you will either need to be more careful with the initial marquee selection drag, or simply manually click on each object you wish to group whilst holding down the Shift key, to select multiple objects at once :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Instead of selecting the pieces by clicking them in the working space, you can also select them by clicking their layer, because every single curve has its own layer. That is often much easier. Hold the Shift key for it. Or, if they don't lie directly over each other, the Ctrl key.

• Staff

Hi @fotis575,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Following the steps on your video after selecting the objects with the Move Tool (00:13s), do NOT switch to the Node Tool, press and hold shift and click over the extraneous objects that were selected and that you want to discard clicking on them on canvas (to un-select them) until you keep only the ones you want, then group them.

17 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Shift key

16 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Ctrl key

It's a bit off-topic, but it documents the annoying inconsistency in controlling the application. In the Layers panel, individual objects are selected (added to the selection) by CTRL-clicking, but on the canvas, the selected objects are added when you press Shift. Unnecessary and annoying inconsistency that complicates control for users.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

thank you all. I know the ways you described to me, I just wanted to know if there is a way to use Node lasso as Move lasso. I realized that it is not possible. Thank you all again for your time.

google translate.

4 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

It's a bit off-topic, but it documents the annoying inconsistency in controlling the application. In the Layers panel, individual objects are selected (added to the selection) by CTRL-clicking, but on the canvas, the selected objects are added when you press Shift. Unnecessary and annoying inconsistency that complicates control for users.

Hm, I never really stumbled upon it, but I think you are right. In fact the Ctrl-key doesn't seem to have any function for clicking objects on canvas. So I think it would be more intuitive if there would be at least the opportunity to use the Ctrl-key to deselect single objects. That's in fact a bit confusing.

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Although I do understand the annoyance, the Shift key already has a use in the Layers Studio, whereby you can select a range of layers (in layer order) by selecting a layer, holding down shift and selecting another - in this scenario all layers in between the two will be selected.

Therefore if Shift was to be used both on the canvas and in the Layers panel for singular control in multi selections, the above selection method would have to be moved to Control, which A) isn't personally what I'd expect, as Shift is used in most other applications for a multi select between ranges and B) the control modifier would select a range in the Layers Panel, but provide no selection on the canvas with the Move Tool, as this is already in use for the measurements guides.

As I understand it, the layers panel is designed with other applications in mind - for example in Windows Explorer selecting works in the same method, with Shift being used for a range select and Control being used for singular file control, in a multi-selection. Then as explained above, changing specific Tool modifies to match studios can often result in other tool modifiers having to change and creates less consistency between the actual tools themselves.

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, fotis575 said:

thank you all. I know the ways you described to me, I just wanted to know if there is a way to use Node lasso as Move lasso. I realized that it is not possible. Thank you all again for your time.

google translate.

okay.

Just a quick note not to forget about the intersect with object setting so you don't have to fully surround the objects your selecting. You just have to touch a piece of them.
So (I know it's just an example) but in your video the selection would require a very small box drag.

704039520_gorillapref.png.9cbb79df31b1144a500a57b7de82e82b.png

Hi @Dan C, the controls in the Layers panel are perfectly fine and completely according to the Windows OS (see your note about Windows Explorer). There is an inconsistency in the canvas control, where selecting and adding objects should also be done using the CTRL key.

34 minutes ago, Dan C said:

can often result in other tool modifiers having to change and creates less consistency between the actual tools themselves.

Yes, it is true - but certain principles and rules should be maintained at all times and in all circumstances (they should take precedence over everything).
The principle should simply apply - do I want to select and add individual objects? I press Ctrl. I want to select a block of objects from to? I press Shift.

Edited by Pšenda

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

22 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

704039520_gorillapref.png.9cbb79df31b1144a500a57b7de82e82b.png

Settings in Preferences (permanent setting), or Left + Right mouse click (temporary setting).

5 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Right click

5 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Left + Right mouse click

See counter for selected object before, and after (toggled) Right mouse button.

image.png.f775a1de0910534f2355d53140b637dd.png

Edited by Pšenda

• Staff

@JimmyJack,
@Pšenda is referring to pressing ctrl while dragging the marquee with the Move tool to select objects just by touching on them on macOS. On Windows the ctrl key is substituted by the right mouse key (because Windows only provides 3 modifiers we had to compromise some things) so you have to press both left (drag the marquee) and right mouse button (to enable select by touching) simultaneously to get the same result.

Since you are using macOS simply press ctrl while dragging the marquee to select by touching.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

@JimmyJack,
@Pšenda is referring to pressing ctrl while dragging the marquee with the Move tool to select objects just by touching on them on macOS. On Windows the ctrl key is substituted by the right mouse key so you have to press both left (drag the marquee) and right mouse button simultaneously to get the same result.

Hmmmm (again). Maybe I'm just having a day.

If Select when Intersecting is off in prefs, no extra key hold turns it on temporarily for me. 
Control + left still brings up floating menu. Alt/option + left = nothing, CMD + Left = nothing.
(same for + right)

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

@JimmyJack,
@Pšenda is referring to pressing ctrl while dragging the marquee with the Move tool to select objects just by touching on them on macOS. On Windows the ctrl key is substituted by the right mouse key (because Windows only provides 3 modifiers we had to compromise some things) so you have to press both left (drag the marquee) and right mouse button (to enable select by touching) simultaneously to get the same result.

Since you are using macOS simply press ctrl while dragging the marquee to select by touching.

It's a bit tricky on Windows. At least for me. Because if one presses or releases the right mouse key a bit too early nothing will be selected, because the context menu pops up.

• Staff

@JimmyJack,
You have to start dragging the marquee first before pressing ctrl otherwise you are invoking the context menu.
Additionally, if you have the Pref set to off, pressing ctrl temporarily enables it. If you set the pref to on, pressing ctrl temporarily disables it. So it switched the behaviour depending on the pref setting.

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

@JimmyJack,

It is a pity that this (including differences according to the OS) is not mentioned in the Status bar, nor is it described in the Help. This way it remains hidden for most users, which is a great pity and a loss of comfort in control (although the combination of Left + Right click chosen for Windows is very far from "comfort" 🙂

• Staff
10 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

It's a bit tricky on Windows. At least for me. Because if one presses or releases the right mouse key a bit too early nothing will be selected, because the context menu pops up.

Start the drag with the left mouse button pressed then add the right mouse button after. If you  release the left mouse button first you shouldn't have issues getting the selection working. I agree it's a bit complicated for such a relatively basic thing.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

If you  release the left mouse button first you shouldn't have issues.

Yes, if you press the left mouse key first and the right one just a bit later, and release both in the same order, it seems to work. Probably it just needs some practice to get used to it.

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

@JimmyJack,
If you have the Pref set to off, pressing ctrl temporarily enables it. If you set the pref to on, pressing ctrl disables select by touching temporarily. So it switched the behaviour depending on the pref setting.

I understand what you're saying. It's just not doing if for me (Big Sur)
Control + left still brings up a floating menu.

I can post a vid if you want.... but it's just gonna show the menu popping up.

Is this new? Maybe I need to update the app.