You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer can't open a Adobe Illustrator file, However Photopea does.

I received a file from a client and Designer wasn't able to open it. I went to Photopea website and upload the file and it was opened easily, I was able to export it in editable PDF and also in Photoshop format and after that I was able to work with it using Designer. Anyone knows another way to open Illustrator files without all this steps? I can't stand the idea that a free online Photoshop copycat editor is more powerful than one Affinity App.

CleanShot 2022-05-02 at 18.19.43.png

CleanShot 2022-05-02 at 18.19.14.png

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

Affinity applications understand only the PDF file that Illustrator will optionally include in its .ai files. 

The actual .ai data has a proprietary format that no applications understand unless they expend a large effort in reverse-engineering that data format.

That reverse-engineering is both complex and risky, as the format can be changed or extended by Adobe at any time, and you can never be sure if you understood everything correctly and completely.

Serif has chosen not to do that, which I consider the right decision.

You could ask the user who supplied the .ai file to regenerate it, including the PDF data. That may be called something like "compatibility mode". Otherwise you'll need something like the complex workaround you found.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell Thanks for your reply. I will be making a list of real life situations that our job as Graphic Designer will encounter if we want to keep using Affinity Apps as our main apps. The more projects I get the more challenging it get for Affinity apps. Thanks God for Photopea website. It’s becoming the link between me and my clients. 

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That reverse-engineering is both complex and risky, as the format can be changed or extended by Adobe at any time, and you can never be sure if you understood everything correctly and completely.

Serif has chosen not to do that, which I consider the right decision.

I would also like to add the fact that reverse engineering, whether it is the application code but also the format of the stored data, is prohibited - see the license agreement. Of course, this is normally done, but then you run the risk of getting into court (for example, when it suits them in a competitive struggle).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 5/3/2022 at 3:15 AM, Pšenda said:

when it suits them in a competitive struggle

Just adding a fact to help confused readers. Competition is not illegal in any form if the way of handling the conversion is not even alike to the original programming code. Example of successful attempts are Pixelmator, Acorn, and so on. Those alternatives let you save a PSD with editable text and open Illustrator files as well. If Photopea is using reverse engineering, it will be punished with all weight of the law any time soon.