You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboards - must be me....

• Staff

... but where do I find the artboard feature? The help says in the Tool panel with the Move tool but duh! The upgrade to Designer is 1.4 right?

Yup as William7 confirms, they are in 1.4.  

If you see the attached screenshot, there is a little 'fly out' just on the bottom corner of the move tool, click this and you will see the Artboard tool.

Hope that helps

post-39-0-16702100-1450294692_thumb.png

You have to (I believe) check the box to "Create Artboard" when creating a new document to have them enabled.

post-3504-0-29197000-1450323923_thumb.png

Journey forth my friend, by body if needs be...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.14 beta || USB Keyboard, Wireless Trackpad, Wacom Intous 3 Tablet

You have to (I believe) check the box to "Create Artboard" when creating a new document to have them enabled.

No, you don’t. You can create artboards with the artboard tool that is hidden under the move tool, as stokerg explained.

The placement of this tool (and the fact that it’s a “tool” in the first place) is still being subject of heated debate.

No, you don’t. You can create artboards with the artboard tool that is hidden under the move tool, as stokerg explained.

The placement of this tool (and the fact that it’s a “tool” in the first place) is still being subject of heated debate.

Ahh, ok. Good to know. Thank you.

Journey forth my friend, by body if needs be...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.14 beta || USB Keyboard, Wireless Trackpad, Wacom Intous 3 Tablet

• 4 weeks later...

I don't seem to have the 'Create Artboard' check box in my Doc setup, nor do a have the arrow in my Move tool, so I can't figure out how to make an dartboard at all.  Also, assuming I can use an artboard to page a 'double page spread' can I export each 'page' as a pdf somehow afterwards?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forums.

Can you check which version of Designer you have installed by clicking on Affinity Designer > About. If you don't have 1.4 installed open the AppStore and click the Updates icon and choose to update Designer. Artboards are included in this version and can be setup from the initial Document Setup or by expanding the Move Tool menu in the Draw Persona.

Hope this helps

L

One thing to consider, at least for the moment. (just learned this myself today   :))

If you create an artboard(s) from within an existing document (by the expanded move tool process) you will lose the use of your guides.

But if you enable the artboard at doc setup they still work. From that starting point you can then add more as you go and they will still work.

They are aware of the issue...

Thanks - busy updating so should find the tool after that. My second question was about whether I could then export each individual (A4) page of a double artboard spread as pdf's? When I send my doc to the printer, they will want each individual A4 page separately, even if I've designed it using a double-page artboard. Am I right??