You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Infinity Tiles

NotMyFault

After years I tried to re-invent an endless pattern tile. It was pure geometric first, but then I found it is very similar to a human shape.

Not yet perfect, but sharing it even in this stage to get your feedback.

• What colors would you recommend?
  • Should I add more details like face, hands, or keep it abstract
  • Try to model men / woman or keep it androgyn?

Human Infinity.jpg

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

14 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

What colors would you recommend?

I like the colours that you’ve chosen.

Should I add more details like face, hands, or keep it abstract

It works well in its present form.

Try to model men / woman or keep it androgyn?

The current figures don’t look androgynous to me. I see big hips, suggesting that they’re women rather than men.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 hours ago, William Overington said:

It reminds me of that movie.

9 hours ago, William Overington said:

The scenes near the end of the movie.

Please don’t keep us in the dark, William!

Alfred spacer.png

Well, I am wondering if anyone else will think the same without me first having said which movie.

If I say which movie at this time, then some people may say "Ah yes, it does" and some people may reject the idea as ridiculous.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

The answer is in this clip.

Only click if you would like to know the answer rather than try to figure it out, or if you wish to check if your suggested answer is correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpQ3G08k48&t=135s

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

11 hours ago, William Overington said:

It reminds me of that movie.

Don't think that I ever saw that one, though I read the book!

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

The current figures don’t look androgynous to me. I see big hips, suggesting that they’re women rather than men.

They look androgynous to me, the 'hips' seem to be fading into the background.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

They also have narrow waists and rounded shoulders.  Agree with @Alfred.   I like the effect of the upside down ones at the left of the image.  If you look steadily at it, it becomes an optical illusion.  I also like the colours just as they are.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Very Escher-esque. Like the one below, I think your image would have done well on the wall of my college dorm room!

12AB02C3-FAC2-483B-A34E-9C87323F09BD.jpeg.5d5e134077947534672558e1cacc2d22.jpeg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

49 minutes ago, smadell said:

Very Escher-esque. Like the one below, I think your image would have done well on the wall of my college dorm room!

Yeah M.C. Escher is one of my absolute heroes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel,_Escher,_Bach).

His craftsmanship and creative spirit is unreachable.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

54 minutes ago, smadell said:

Ooh, Escher and Möbius rolled into one! That’s new to me.

Alfred spacer.png

Below a cleaner versions, this time more masculin.

Interestingly, the upside down version gives a different "positive" symbol, indeed there are 3 virtual sub-tiles, and the human eye combines them differently. 

I used a lot of swearing while re-drawing from scratch. Unfortunately I re-discovered a year old unfixed bugs (compound shapes inside symbols don't update), so I made a new version using one relatively simple curve shape, based on the compounds. Every night I get new ideas how to develop this shape further.

The right/left edge is now a (almost) sine curve instead of circle / ellipse shapes, allowing a cleaner fit when combining. There is zero overlap.

Human Infinity V3.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 21.03.45.png

Another variant of the principle theme, this time really abstract and not interpreted as human.

It has a nice property of shapes and colors forming infinity patterns, in the sense of shapes can be extended infinitely.

Still trying to uncover my original pattern from about 35 years ago, but memory doesn't serve me well without any physical paper reminder.

Infinity Abstract Space V1.png