You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes on saving a linked .afdesign file edited in Publisher

I have a document with 13 pages, on each page there is a linked and quite large Designer file (~300mb).

Case A: When I doubleclick it to edit it inside Publisher, do my changes and save it, Publisher crashes with no error message. When I open the document again, I see that changed file is saved, not refreshed in the document and I can refresh the file with the resource manager manually. Switching the persona to Designer makes no difference.

Case B: When I open the Designer file externally with Designer, do my changes and save it, no crash occurs, Publisher still not alerting about a changed resource, but showing the file as changed in resource manager. So here I also have to refresh it manually.

My Environment: Windows 11 Pro 21H2, Publisher 1.10.5.1342, Designer 1.10.5.1342

It would be nice to be able to choose if I want to edit the resource file internally or externally.

2 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @Michael Tietz,

I'll see if this issue can be replicated, could you provide me with the afpub file and all other linked resources to the below private dropbox link?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/LlaFgEhQZgknBVCy6eCY

Could you also provide a crash report file? Instructions on how to find these are below.

Hi Nathan, the amount of data is way too big to upload, so I tried to minimize the resources by further linking big assets into child assets. Now the crash problem disappeared, but another problem popped up: Every time I edit an asset file, the afpub loses the linking and I have to manually relink the asset. Is it bad practice to do cascading linking? In my example the structure is the following: Big Map Image -> Image afdesign file -> Page asset afdesign file -> Main afpub. I uploaded the data to your Dropbox, as well as the last crashdump from the prior crash problem.

• Staff

As far as I'm aware there's no reason that you cant have linked resources within linked resources, however I was finding I was having memory issues and crashing (raising this internally) when I attempted to both open your file (had to do 'add pages from file') and when trying to edit any of the afdesign files linked to your publisher document. Once I rasterised  the linked map document within the afdesign file I had a lot more success and didn't find that the resource was unlinked after editing.

5 minutes ago, NathanC said:

As far as I'm aware there's no reason that you cant have linked resources within linked resources, however I was finding I was having memory issues and crashing (raising this internally) when I attempted to both open your file (had to do 'add pages from file') and when trying to edit any of the afdesign files linked to your publisher document. Once I rasterised  the linked map document within the afdesign file I had a lot more success and didn't find that the resource was unlinked after editing.

So rasterizing the linked jpg did the trick? Should I do that too or should I wait if there will be a fixed update?

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Michael Tietz said:

So rasterizing the linked jpg did the trick? Should I do that too or should I wait if there will be a fixed update?

I would recommend rasterising the map image within your linked afdesign file and seeing if this works better for you for now.