You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Parent and daughter objects

Before attempting to use the Constraints panel I need to know what parent and daughter objects are?

I can't find anything in Affinity Help.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Have you checked the Constraints topic in the Help?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

31 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Before attempting to use the Constraints panel I need to know what parent and daughter objects are?

I think that should be "parent and child"

If it has been translated somewhere as "daughter" that's probably a translation error that should be reported

or did you mean that as a joke?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, carl123 said:

It should be either "mother and daughter" or "father and son", depending on the user's gender :-)

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 hours ago, carl123 said:

By the way: Is it in English still common to say master page, like in master & slave ? – Or does one or the other nowadays have a more neutral term?

I don't know one substitute for "slave" in German because I was always used to English for this couple (SCSI master / slave) – whereas "musterseite" for the single, which means roughly "sample page" or "template page", but both don't appear that functionally "bossy" to me like "master page" expresses, correct?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

By the way: Is it in English still common to say master page, like in master & slave ? – Or does one or the other nowadays have a more neutral term?

I don't know one substitute for "slave" in German because I was always used to English for this couple (SCSI master / slave) – whereas "musterseite" for the single, which means roughly "sample page" or "template page", but both don't appear that functionally "bossy" to me like "master page" expresses, correct?

Some inspiration:

Primary - Secondary might be a good alternative within the context of Affinity Apps.

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-04.html#Eglash

To find alternatives to master-slave, one can look to myriad existing implementations. There are also many other relationships that can be used as metaphors, Eglash’s research calls into question the accuracy of the master-slave metaphor. An alternative should be chosen based on the pairing that is most clear in context:

• Primary-secondary based on authority. See for example [RFC8499].
  • Primary-replica based originality.
  • Active-standby based on state.
  • Writer-reader based on function.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

17 hours ago, carl123 said:

If it has been translated somewhere as "daughter" that's probably a translation error that should be reported

or did you mean that as a joke?

LOL! This could be viewed as verging on the transgenderism nonsense! It was my mistake having quickly read through the help file and mistook 'Child' for daughter.

Thanks Walt for pointing me towards the Constraints video. It explained it much better than the written instructions which are not very easy to understand.

I did actually create a constrained object from an existing one that I had. It was for creating and adding dimensions and dimension lines to a technical drawing. This I did successfully.

I have been asking Serif to add a draughting feature to Affinity Designer ever since it was first published but so far nothing!

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Having persevered and had a go at using the 'Constraints' feature I created these two objects (Dimensions). File attached

When I transform 'B' I get the desired effect of making the object resize but I cannot get object 'A' to transform in the same way. Both behave in the desired way when used as intended but not when transforming. Is this to do with the constraints settings of 'A'?

The reason I want to do this is to be able to transform a whole drawing with all the dimensions transforming at the same rate.

Transformation.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

3 hours ago, jackamus said:

Thanks Walt for pointing me towards the Constraints video. It explained it much better than the written instructions which are not very easy to understand.

You're welcome, but that was @firstdefence, I believe :) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, jackamus said:

When I transform 'B' I get the desired effect of making the object resize but I cannot get object 'A' to transform in the same way. Both behave in the desired way when used as intended but not when transforming. Is this to do with the constraints settings of 'A'?

I can't solve but notice an unexpected horizontal dimension of the main group, respectively its child group: It seems to be forced to this width erroneously: …

793967102_constraintAorig1.thumb.jpg.5aab5723164c28b6c3799f7f00eca80f.jpg

... whereas it does not occur if all containing child layers get selected only:

2101041153_constraintAorig2.jpg.ee402f1f3899273a90154a97af3119e4.jpg

I experienced such a confusion for group dimensions occasionally and without use of the constraint feature. I never detected what does cause such an issue. Sometimes it got fixed by ungrouping + regrouping but here it doesn't change the oddity for the 'A' constraint, neither for its main nor its child group. Also if reduced to only 1 group (including the text layer as in 'B') the issue insists for the group.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

7 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Primary - Secondary might be a good alternative within the context of Affinity Apps.

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-04.html#Eglash

Interesting article, how did you notice it? Because of working yourself in this area? In particular the recent development, the changes done already are interesting and seem to document both the need and running process of renaming certain terms for political reasons and inclusive speech, for instance …

Python (2018): https://www.vice.com/en/article/8x7akv/masterslave-terminology-was-removed-from-python-programming-language

GitHub (2020): https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7qbyv/github-to-remove-masterslave-terminology-from-its-platform

Though the Affinity UI doesn't use "slave" (afaik) it appears useful to alter the term "master", whereas "primary page" or "writer page" sounds ambigous to me and possibly conflict with the visual layer hierarchy in the Layers panel (like parent-child would do, too), respectively with the understanding of "editor" / "author".

Concerning the master as a specific, leading type of page I wonder if "main page" or "leading page" would work?

the Parent / Child nomenclature can have one Parent and several Child layers (and grandchild layers). Whereas a Primary / Secondary could imply only one secondary layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I personally think “master” on its own may be tolerable, unless it is combined with “slave” - which is not the case here.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

the Parent / Child nomenclature can have one Parent and several Child layers (and grandchild layers). Whereas a Primary / Secondary could imply only one secondary layer.

I don't agree, secondary does not limit the cardinality to one. This would (unnecessary) mix the rank/level and the number of objects in that rank.

Most childs have 2 parents ;-)

Think more of a rank or level, e.g. a tree has one root node, multiple nodes (2nd level or secondary), and multiple leafs (tertiary elements)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

I can't solve but notice an unexpected horizontal dimension of the main group, respectively its child group: It seems to be forced to this width erroneously: …

793967102_constraintAorig1.thumb.jpg.5aab5723164c28b6c3799f7f00eca80f.jpg

... whereas it does not occur if all containing child layers get selected only:

2101041153_constraintAorig2.jpg.ee402f1f3899273a90154a97af3119e4.jpg

I experienced such a confusion for group dimensions occasionally and without use of the constraint feature. I never detected what does cause such an issue. Sometimes it got fixed by ungrouping + regrouping but here it doesn't change the oddity for the 'A' constraint, neither for its main nor its child group. Also if reduced to only 1 group (including the text layer as in 'B') the issue insists for the group.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

I have attached the file where I use these dimension lines. The problem is I I select the whole group and graba bounding box handle and drag diagonally in order to transform it to a slightly smaller size you will notice that all the dimension lines transform as expected but the two 25mm dimensions transform at a different rate. Why should this be?

Stairs.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

11 hours ago, jackamus said:

The reason I want to do this is to be able to transform a whole drawing with all the dimensions transforming at the same rate.

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

I I select the whole group and graba bounding box handle and drag diagonally in order to transform it to a slightly smaller size

Maybe I'm not understanding the situation....

But it sounds like you don't need constraints at all (don't let that stop you from learning it though).
I'm seeing that you want to scale everything proportionally. Yes?
For that, get rid of all the constraints. Select all your lines & lines w/arrows and in the stroke panel turn on "Scale with object".

Now grab everything and scale away. Because you have text also use the "extra" floating handle off of the lower right corner when scaling. That will automatically keep things in proportion (as opposed to having to hold the shift key on the regular/other corners). 

....or maybe you're trying to do something else 🥴.