You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Align two images where the format is not the same

Dear Affinity experts,

I have to do the following: I have two images, camera location and scene is the same. One is a photo and the other one is a still image from a video. Unfortunately size and cropping are not the same. Therefore I have to align the photo so that it matches the still exactly. I did this by placing both in two different layers, make the upper one semi transparent and then adjust size and position of the photo by dragging the handles. This does work, however it's fairly tricky: When I drag the left handle and adjust a detail at the left and then drag the right handle and adjust at the right, the left detail is affected either and I have to perform the procedure recursively until everything is matching.

My question is: Is there a procedure or trick to make this easier?

Best regards - Ulrich

• Staff

Hi @Sempervivum,

35 minutes ago, Sempervivum said:

When I drag the left handle and adjust a detail at the left and then drag the right handle and adjust at the right, the left detail is affected either and I have to perform the procedure recursively until everything is matching.

If you are transforming the image using the side handles, you will be effectively changing the aspect ratio of the image and this can cause pixel distortion.

Are you able to provide a copy of both images here, so we can advise using your images as an example?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

you will be effectively changing the aspect ratio of the image

Hi Dan, yes, that's true. Left and right were just an example, I have to align top and bottom too and in the end, when the photo is matching the still exactly the aspect ratio will be the same.

I'm going to the location this evening and record photos and a video. Afterwards I'm gonna provide the images. Currently I have some samples but the quality is fairly poor.

Best regards - Ulrich

an alternative option would be to use new stack, and let Affinity try to align the images.

You may need to preprocess one of the images if they are differ far in size / resolution.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Two alternatives with a helper object:

• Create an extra shape object (e.g. rectangle) to measure the distance | height | width of any certain object in both images –> calculate the scaling factor –> scale the image via transform panel.

• Create an extra shape object in the dimension of a certain image detail. Then select both, 1. the image to scale + 2. this object –> activate the option "Transform Objects Separately" (context toolbar) –> scale the extra object, the image will follow.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi,

I did some research regarding my camera and found out why the clipping ("der Ausschnitt" - is this term correct?) in horizontal direction differs: Digital stabilizing was turned on for the video, this requires some extra space. After turning it off the clipping is the same. This will make aligning video and image a lot easier.

Many thanks to all contributors and best regards - Ulrich

Well it sounds like the initial cause of the problem has been addressed.
But, if you find yourself in this position again here's.....

Another option.

Make the top layer semi transparent as you did before.
This time start by moving the image to line up with a very identifiable spot on the image below... and then move the object center to that spot.
Now when you resize, hold down the CMD key. It will resize around the placed object center.
Most (if not all) of the back and forth tugging match will be eliminated.