You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Artifact when moving items

https://imgur.com/BrRzS73

for some reason it won't let me upload the picture file so i linked it from imgur.

this doesn't always happen as i can't seem to reliably recreate this, and it eventually goes away after i move the text or vector line around. I have monitored the cpu and ram and it doesn't go higher then 30-40 percent.  I am unsure what is causing this.  If i need to buy more ram, or move to nvme im up for it, however i am already on a 2.5 ssd, and a xeon chip from 2017

Edited by chickenlambchops
photo link

What settings do you have in Affinitys Preferences on the performance tab?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I've also seen this effect. It's a little strange and as you say not easily repeatable. My guess is that when you update the design the underlying canvas gets "invalidated" which queues up a redraw to render the update. Sometimes the redraw isn't completely redrawing the canvas and some parts retain their old content. Eventually those parts are redrawn or the whole canvas is redrawn and the problem goes away. Are you seeing old bits of the design lying around after you move objects?

29 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

I've also seen this effect. It's a little strange and as you say not easily repeatable. My guess is that when you update the design the underlying canvas gets "invalidated" which queues up a redraw to render the update. Sometimes the redraw isn't completely redrawing the canvas and some parts retain their old content. Eventually those parts are redrawn or the whole canvas is redrawn and the problem goes away. Are you seeing old bits of the design lying around after you move objects?

I don’t always see the odd bits after a move but it does generally happen after I’ve moved things around. I originally assumed it was my computer not up to par. However monitoring the various parts it seems to be doing fine and none of the numbers seem to far off the mark. 

7 hours ago, chickenlambchops said:

I wonder if its my video card, not good enough for affinity?

I don't think it's that, I think you have plenty of RAM, if anything Affinity would likely push the CPU.

Have you tried Affinity with Hardware Acceleration ON?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, chickenlambchops said:

I wonder if its my video card, not good enough for affinity?

I have no idea, sorry. What card do you have? I would be surprised if the card itself is a problem. I think you would have noticed bigger problems before now if that was an issue. I considered reporting the issue when I experienced it but it proved impossible to reproduce while screen recording which made me wonder if OBS (screen recording software) might be interfering with it. Since then it has happened rarely so I've been able to live with it. Sorry, this isn't very helpful is it.