You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

symbol unlinked attributes

I have a base symbol for 30+ emojis.  How did the symbol get unlinked attributes: transform/constraints?  I did not unsync.

now some size changed are not flowing to all the 30+ objects.  how do I fix this?

even if I drag a new symbol it is not updated.  why is the symbol designed this way?  

this is so very frustrating! total workflow killer.

macOS 10.15 iMac - macOS 11 M1 Mac mini - Affinity Designer & Photo 1.10.5

iPad iOS 15.4 Affinity Designer & Photo 1.10.5

if I create a new symbol it immediately shows in layers unlinked attributes: transform/constraints. again why?

32 minutes ago, Daimyou said:

if I create a new symbol it immediately shows in layers unlinked attributes: transform/constraints. again why?

You're probably looking at the symbol layer itself. If you want to change the size, select the object inside the symbol, and change that. (You should also see that the object inside the symbol has a solid orange line, indicating everything is linked. And if you hover over it, nothing will show as Unlinked.)

From the Help for Symbols:

To edit a symbol instance:
  • On the Layers, expand a chosen Symbol entry, then edit the objects within.

When a symbol that comprises multiple objects is used to create symbol instances on the page, it groups the objects by default. As a result, you have to edit the objects within to affect change across all symbol instances.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

One symbol has an item that has orange dots. it W and H is not updating but color is.  one item has solid orange and its W and H is not updating but color is.

but another symbol the W and H are updating.

seems buggy.

We'd need to see screenshots showing the Layers panel, so we can see the details. Possibly a screen recording. And a newly created sample .afdesign document Saved with History might be useful, too.

Edited by walt.farrell
Typo

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

both curves are not updating W and H. even though one as solid orange.

the dotted curve was updating W and H yesterday but then stopped working.  no idea why it got unlinked.

sync-problem.png

And a Jeremy created sample .afdesigndocument Saved with History might be useful, too.

not sure what you mean, Jeremy

1 hour ago, Daimyou said:

not sure what you mean, Jeremy

Sorry. Weird autocorrect by my phone. Try "newly" created.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi @Daimyou,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

The orange dotted line in your symbol means that the attributes for the object have been changed for this instance only - this can happen if you transform the layer which is part of the Symbol whilst 'sync' is not activated in the Symbols Studio.

13 hours ago, Daimyou said:

attached is a screen recording showing how the H & W are not matching in symbol

In your screen recording, when adding a new symbol instance this is added with a solid orange line, indicating it's synced with other symbol instances (besides the one with a dotted line) and this is the expected behaviour. You can simply delete the symbol with the dotted orange line and add a new instance from the Symbols Studio, which should then be synced with the other symbols in your document. :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

You guys need to seriously fix the symbol function.  Since it is buggy and randomly breaks connection. Made worse by the fact it cannot be fixed.

You have to redo everything. frustrating! 

I had to delete the symbol. create the symbol again and then replace all the places the symbol was in 30+ art boards.

not a good workflow.