You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open files, move tool problem

What am i doing wrong? Two things that I'm finding a bit tricky!

1) It generally takes three goes to open a file; the first two attempts just do nothing. Worst in Photo but also sometimes Designer.

2) The Select/Move tool and Artboard tool flyout. I generally use the artboard tool once at the start of a project, but use the Move tool every few seconds, so find their combination very awkward, particularly when working with text, when use of the V shortcut has regrettable effects. is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks

Tony

PS 2012 iMac 27in with 16gb ram

• Staff

Hi Tony,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not sure what you mean in your first point but we are aware of a few issues with an open dialog that appears in the beginning when you run the program that does nothing.

This was already fixed in the latest Beta and will be included in the next Mac App Store update.

Regarding your second question, you can separate the Move and Artboard tools into independent buttons. Go to menu View ▸ Customise toolbar, remove the combined button  and add the independent buttons to the toolbar. You can also change tools shortcuts in the Preferences.

Thanks, that does the trick on the move tool (I still think that artboard and move aren't the two tools I'd nest by default.) As to the other, you go file>open> choose your file and nothing happens until third go, but sounds like you're on the case. Hope the weather in Lisbon is cheerier than in England!