You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector path: Smooth transition from straight line to curve

I have a very basic question concerning vector paths:

How do I have to treat the anchor point seen in the turquoise circle (purple path) in order to make the transition from the straight line into the curve smooth with no corner visible?

I guess I have to transform it into an anchor point which has only one curve-handle to one side – like the one shown in the second picture (green path).

Is there any way to transform an existing anchor point into such a "one-handle-anchor-point"?

Changing the anchor point from "sharp" into "smooth" does not work since it creates two handles which distorts the whole straight line before the anchor point.

Thank you for taking your time to support.

01.png

02.png

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Converting the node into smooth is one correct way. Just drag the lower handle over the vertical line that this part is aligned to the straight line. Then adjust the length of the other handle - but keep it on the extended vertical line. The numerous snapping options will help.

When on Windows OS, keep in mind that many of the keyboard shortcuts with ALT do not work, even if they are displayed in the bottom line of the window. 

Alternative option:

• use node tool, click-and drag into the curved part and drag it up/right until the 180 degree angle snaps in.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

In my example below, the middle node (Node 2)  is smoothed and its two control handles are aligned vertically with with lower node (Node 3). To help with this I pulled across a vertical guide and snapped the first node and the two control handles to it. (On macOS at least, it seems you have to hold down Shift to snap the control handles - as far as I can see none of the snapping options affects them.)

Nodes 1 and 2 are smooth nodes. Node 3 is sharp. The lower control handle of Node 2 is pulled down quite close to Node 3. The upper control handle of Node 2 is positioned slightly above Node 1. There is a smooth transition between straight line and curved at Node 2. I adjust the shape of the curved segment by moving Node 1 and its control handles.

Hope this makes sense - it's not the easiest thing to put into words.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

On 4/23/2022 at 10:12 AM, NK_01 said:

Changing the anchor point from "sharp" into "smooth" does not work since it creates two handles which distorts the whole straight line before the anchor point.

If I understand what you want correctly, maybe something like this using these Node Tool's snapping options?

1653487640_smoothtransition.jpg.2cfb893a50f5064ddc2af353b378e5d3.jpg

smooth transition.afdesign (with its 1 step history included)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just curious,, but did the Node Tool snapping options on the Context Toolbar allow you to do what you wanted or did you have to add a vertical guide like @h_d suggested to get it to work? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

did you have to add a vertical guide like @h_d suggested to get it to work? 

I've just re-read my original answer and I can in fact snap the control handles to the curve's geometry with those snapping options selected - no guides needed. You learn something every day...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.