You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] Make photos spread cover

Good day to you!

I wonder if there's simple solution to make photo spread for cover? Like on the picture below:

image.jpeg.166e6ae9fc03f7c541f5a674f7765f73.jpeg

For the brochure this kind of pages are used:

image.png.a4f2a53917d8785ceff5dbec9c6ac521.png

So. If I need to make photo spread for pages 2 and 3 — I just cover both pages with picture frame (btw best solution for pictures ever, thanks!) But what i should do if I need photo spread for FRONT cover and REAR cover?

Thanks in advance!

You could make a separate Master Page (two page spread) with a Picture Frame, or just the image by itself, spanning the gutter. Apply that to the Front Cover and Back Cover.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It depends a bit on your printer's requirements, but one way is:

Suppose you want an eight-page product. You create a single-page master - I called mine "Cover" - twice the size of your standard single pages and rotated through 90º (uncheck Portrait in the Spread Setup).

You apply this to page 1 and then your Standard Pages master to pages 2-7:

383253998_Screenshot2022-04-22at18_22_44.png.c51172b6caebff9ff34a3e0747d866dc.png

Page 1 is actually pages 8 (left) and 1 (right). Again depending on printer's requirements, you might need to output it separately from the remaining spreads.

(Used to have to do this sometimes on a big newspaper system. It was a nightmare. 😁)

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

3 hours ago, EEvgeniy said:

Brilliant solution!

To me it appears more like a brilliant workaround. (which requires a master page for each layout alternative).

A brilliant solution would offer this in the Affinity UI as a display / viewing option.

Or, another workaround, as an export option when using a left page as start + sections as workaround. Currently this would result in wrong page imposition when printed or displayed onscreen as spreads, unless you manually move a page in the PDF after export.

244987045_startwleftpage.thumb.jpg.1090010bc7c7e971fb53edaef985e017.jpg

846241017_startwleftpageprint.jpg.5e371ac3cdfaba58c659335d87d4af9e.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:27 PM, thomaso said:

A brilliant solution would offer this in the Affinity UI as a display / viewing option.

I totally agree with you, that cover handling can be managed better with Affinity UI integrated option, since there're much more questions with covers than just put nice picture.

But at the same time a workaround with separate master page for a cover doesn't seem too workaround since I can do everything cover-related in the master-page, including page size and separate bleed, with no edits on the two different pages in the opposite ends of the document. Seems legit for me. A workaround with sections and brochure is interesting, but to my opinion seems more complicated.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, Old Bruce said:

That is getting into page imposition.

I'm not sure I got you. Could you please clarify?

Pages 4 & 1 on one side of a sheet of paper and then having pages 2 & 3 on the other side of the sheet is page imposition.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Pages 4 & 1 on one side of a sheet of paper and then having pages 2 & 3 on the other side of the sheet is page imposition.

Well, according to https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Publishing/print.html?title=Print

Imposition means that your pages are flipped and reordered at print time so that when printed sheets are produced, they can be folded so pages come together in their correct order.

So, I guess, workaround with sections and then exporting it as brochure is special case of imposition, isn't it?

On 4/21/2022 at 10:24 PM, EEvgeniy said:

I wonder if there's simple solution to make photo spread for cover? Like on the picture below:

6 minutes ago, EEvgeniy said:

So, I guess, workaround with sections and then exporting it as brochure is special case of imposition, isn't it?

I don't really understand the second question. Imposition is something that is done at a Print Shop with special software. People occasionally want to do this with Publisher and or Designer and while possible it is quite difficult to do properly. Each job could be different. 

While I do know how to do this I won't encourage others to do so, it is just too difficult to explain with words and as I said each job could well be different.

14 minutes ago, EEvgeniy said:

If your question refers to my example above: yes. That is why I added "this would result in wrong page imposition when printed" + placed magenta strokes on the screenshot, to mark the critical, not really useful parts. – Sorry everybody, if my input was more confusing than useful.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

These are all great suggestions, but unless you're planning to print the final document yourself, I'd suggest that you present this problem to your printer to see what their suggestion(s) might be.  They might be able to print the first sheet separately and request that you submit that (including the two "backside" cover pages as "page 2".  And any workarounds that would require and/or assume page imposition should be run by the printer as well, so you'll be certain that the implementation would work.

I have a preference for the approach that joe_l proposed, as this should work.  But even if you do this, I'd check with the printer to confirm how to handle the bleed space at the spine.  Granted, the bleed on this side of the page isn't going to be trimmed, since the paper isn't going to be cut on this edge, but the printer might make some sort of assumption about the front-to-back image layout that might mess this up.

My final suggestion, after looking at the example that you provided, is that if you can arrange the cover image so clearly-shaped components of the image (such as the potted plant in your example) don't span the cover spine, any minor misalignments will be much less noticeable.