You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make modifier key for scroll-zooming configurable (on macOS)

I know, this issue already exists for a while but this choice of modifier key for scroll-zooming is driving me crazy ever since!

Please Affinity, what was the reasoning to use the OPT/ALT key? We all rely on muscle memory in our daily workflows and EVERY other major design app I know uses the CMD key as a scroll-zoom modifier: Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Miro, FigJam. Until I have found out that I can at least disable the canvas rotation, I accidentally rotated so often instead of zoomed. Very frustrating in the long run. And it made life and work harder in the other design apps too as I have to think all of a sudden about which key to use there.

Please make "use CMD key for scroll-zoom" an option in the preferences.

Thank you, I really like the Affinity apps aside from that.

I'm not at my Mac at the moment; can you go into Preferences and Keyboard shortcuts and make the modifier key match what you want?

(edit: screenshot from Windows version)

modifier_keys.PNG

Edited by davemac2015
Added screenshot from Affinity Designer for Windows

Yes, thanks, that's right for key commands. But I'm talking about the (on a Mac) ALT-scroll-wheel behavior to zoom in or out. In many other design apps this is CMD-scroll-wheel and it would be very helpful if we could have to option to change the modifier key from ALT to CMD. Many apps share the same basic key commands to make switching between them easier for the user and mouse-wheel-zooming should also follow that idea.

(Maybe the ALT key is called OPT key on newer macs, I'm not sure at the moment)

But thanks anyway for your help. 8-)

18 hours ago, Arroyodorado said:

(Maybe the ALT key is called OPT key on newer macs, I'm not sure at the moment)

Option is for Macs, Alt (Alternate or Alternative) is for Windows. Apple has a history of occasionally labeling the key with an added "alt".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone else found a way to modify this? I too get driven crazy because many other apps use the Command/Control key for zoom mode, not for putting the scroll while into tilt-the-canvas mode as Affinity does. So I'm constantly rotating the canvas when I don't want to.