You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text formatting not properply applied and is not properly changeable in linked text boxes

nielsh

I ran into a program-breaking bug. I'm suprised no one else reported about this.

In the main text frame I applied proper styling: line spacing, paragraph spacing etc. The overflowing text, in a linked text box made using the proper link tool, the paragraph spacing is way larger. Alright, might be a styling inherited from the word document, no biggie, but: it doesn't respond to any paragraph spacing changes. Line spacing also does not respond. This all works fine in the first text box, but all text in linked text boxes/overflowing text does not respond to spacing settings. I have tried pasting text without styling, resetting Text Styles, but it all doesn't change the problem I am describing.

This is absolutely program-breaking as I can't properly format documents with long texts now. I attached pictures to show the difference in paragraph spacing between the original and the linked text box. All text has the same styling applied to it (Body) with identical line- and paragraph spacing settings. There's literally no difference between the text- and paragraph style settings whatsoever.

Note that in the linked text box (with the red annotation) the paragraph brake is not a manual line break, this really is a paragraph break with no extra special characters inserted whatsoever.

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 11.31.29.png

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 11.32.35.png

I have found the culprit without a way to solve it. I turned on show baseline grid... and to my surprise only the linked text boxes (so all except the first one) show the blue lines of baseline grid. Baseline grid manager does not say it is activated, neither does switching it on and off again fix it. See screenshot.

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 12.51.20.png

31 minutes ago, nielsh said:

Solved: apparently the linked text boxes got "Align to baseline grid" applied to them by default? So why does the Baseline Grid Manager not show that, but only the paragraph panel?

It can also be a Text Frame attribute, which you would see in the Text Frame panel.

The Baseline Grid Manager only shows you the document-wide setting.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 4/20/2022 at 12:41 PM, nielsh said:

You can have a look at my bugged document here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cc4yevtoiljhh6q/Tourneeboekje.afpub?dl=1

It opens to me quite different than your initial screenshot:
5 mei + 6 mei paragraphs in 1 frame, and leading appears to be okay:

1843039462_5mei6meileading.jpg.d8f860ddbdea3d6fa767c8ab02de745d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 4/20/2022 at 3:55 AM, nielsh said:

So why does the Baseline Grid Manager not show that, but only the paragraph panel?

First take into account that the Baseline Grid Manager is only for the Document's Spread/Page baseline. Now, consider if you have five text frames, yet only two have the Baseline turned on, what should the Baseline Grid Manager show? On or Off?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.