You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Checking and chaning DPI after a document has been created and saved as an afphoto document

How can I check resolution, dimensions, etc. after creating a document and saving  it if using a PC?

Also, can I change the DPI from say, 72 to 300 AFTER I have created a document (and forgot to set it at 300 in the beginning)? I have saved the document in the afphoto format. I am going to have it printed at a print shop, and it's a sign with large letters. Naturally I want to be sure that the letters and some graphics print at the optimum resolution.

Right now, I cannot remember what I set the resolution at during the doc setup process.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Phil P said:

How can I check resolution, dimensions, etc. after creating a document and saving  it if using a PC?

The Resource Manager is your friend for finding out what the DPI is of Placed images.

If your "large letters" are actual text (not hand drawn) then there should be no problem increasing the size of the text.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

How you check depends on which Affinity application you're using.

For Photo, Document > Resize is one way.

For Designer or Publisher, File > Document Setup is one way.

Edited by walt.farrell
Typo

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The Resource Manager is your friend for finding out what the DPI is of Placed images.

If your "large letters" are actual text (not hand drawn) then there should be no problem increasing the size of the text.

Thank you! I tried the Help feature and read about the Resource Manager, but I'm still stumped on how to use it. When I open it, I cannot find where to find the DPI of an object.

The documents are not graphic-intensive, 99% is text.

I will look for a tutorial on the Resource Manager. I just don't want to have the text blurred after it is printed. It's a 24" x 48" sign.

These are all either native fonts or some that I downloaded from the internet, and a couple of graphics.  Four different signs in all. That's why I was asking if there was a way to see what my dim brain chose as the DPI during document setup, and if 72, can I change it after the fact.  I still can't figure out if I can or how to do that. Any help?

Thanks again.

walt.farrell, thanks for the reply. I think you meant "How you check depends...".

I'm using Photo. I just now clicked on Document>Resize Doucment, and it shows 300 dpi. I assume that means that's the way it was saved?

While I'm at it, should I keep the "Resample" box checked in that dialogue? It was checked when I performed the above actions. What does it mean?

I believe you have solved my issues. Thank you and others!

Edited by Phil P
fat fingers

To resize go to Document > Resize and change the DPI with the Resample set to on.

2056580972_ScreenShot2022-04-19at4_22_01PM.png.82c9a09420852917b8b631ed24d50a05.png 

resize  

337972895_ScreenShot2022-04-19at4_21_43PM.png.0f3344b995b2beb9d72f0ab7d48ef95e.png

1325328682_ScreenShot2022-04-19at4_22_55PM.png.8383971031a09fc4bd2e5e829ae6b53a.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.