You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

300 dpi export shows as 72 dpi in PhotoShop

I would like to export jpg files at 300 dpi. They are opening at 72 dpi (300 would be better there too) in AP and when I resize and export them, they open up at 72 dpi in PhotoShop. I need the output jpg to be at 300 dpi. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Jay1, I have been unable to replicate this issue at my end. Please could you attach one of your 300dpi images so that I may investigate this further? Any files you send to me will be deleted once I have looked at them :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I could not get the sample photo to send. Is there a certain way to attach it to a post?

But, I have also outlined my workflow to help my question make more sense.

My workflow in PhotoShop is:

1. open the photo (opens 11.52 x 17.28 in at 300 dpi in PhotoShop)

2. crop

3. resize image to 2000 px on the short side

4. levels

5. curves

6. save as...

The final picture will then open up in PhotoShop at the newly cropped sized at 300 dpi. Now, when I open that photo in AP, the dpi is still at 300.

My workflow in AP is:

1. open the photo (opens 3456 x 5184 px at 72 dpi in AP)

2. crop

3. try resize image to 2000 px on the short side (I have to change the dpi to 300) - this is the first part of my issue; if the photo loaded at 300 then I wouldn't have to make that change too.

4. levels

5. curves

6. export...

The final picture will then open up in PhotoShop (and in AP) at the newly cropped sized but showing 72 dpi. This is the second part of my issue; I would like to see that with 300 dpi showing.

My workflow in PhotoShop is:

1. open the photo (opens 11.52 x 17.28 in at 300 dpi in PhotoShop)

2. crop

3. resize image to 2000 px on the short side

4. levels

5. curves

6. save as...

The final picture will then open up in PhotoShop at the newly cropped sized at 300 dpi. Now, when I open that photo in AP, the dpi is still at 300.

My workflow in AP is:

1. open the photo (opens 3456 x 5184 px at 72 dpi in AP)

2. crop

3. try resize image to 2000 px on the short side (I have to change the dpi to 300) - this is the first part of my issue; if the photo loaded at 300 then I wouldn't have to make that change too.

4. levels

5. curves

6. export...

The final picture will then open up in PhotoShop (and in AP) at the newly cropped sized but showing 72 dpi. This is the second part of my issue; I would like to see that with 300 dpi showing.

Oh, that’s strange … I have no idea what went wrong …  :(

(On the other hand, I followed your steps … and there seems to happen something weird indeed. Indesign interprets the file information correctly, when I place an image, that was resized to 2000px @300dpi in Affinity Photo, into a standard document … maybe the developers can sort out the mysteries that happen here, I mean both of them … the failing uploads and the misinterpreted file information …)

• 3 months later...

The tutorial does explain how dpi works (not new information) but does not answer my question as to why photos open in AP at 72dpi and open in photoshop at 300dpi. AP might be a good product but doesn't currently work for me and customer service and support seems to be failing too.

Any help from a moderator or developer would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Staff

Hi jay1,

I'm sorry about the delay and trouble you're getting with the application.

New users have a few limitations in place to avoid spamming. I believe the restrictions on uploading files in the beginning is one of them.

Regarding the issues when resizing images, you have to perform two steps: change the resolution from 72 to 300 in Affinity Photo with Resample unchecked to set the dpi value to 300 and clicking on the Resize button in the Resize Document dialog to set/perform the change, then export the image to JPG changing the smaller dimension to 2000 px (per your example) keeping the padlock icon closed to keep image's proportions. This should open your image in Photoshop with 2000px in the smaller dimension and 300 dpi. This seems to be working as expected on my system. If you aren't getting the same results then something is wrong.

If you are still having trouble uploading the image, use this link to upload it to my Dropbox account and i will add it to your post.

Hi MEB,

I uploaded a file named jay1.jpg to your link. When I open it in PhotoShop is shows at 3903px x 2000px at 72dpi.

I followed your instructions and that is what happened.

Also, when I open that file in AP, I get the same dimensions (it shows up at 72 dpi).

Jay

Here is some more info...

If I save a file (jpg) in PS at 300 dpi, it opens in AP at 300 dpi.

If I save a file (jpg) in AP at 300 dpi, it opens in PS at 72 dpi.

If I save a file (jpg) in AP at 300 dpi, it opens in AP at 72 dpi.

If I save a file (afphoto) in AP at 300 dpi, it opens in AP at 300 dpi.

If I export a file (jpg) in AP at 300 dpi, it opens in PS at 72 dpi.

If I export a file (jpg) in AP at 300 dpi, it reopens in AP at 72 dpi.

Those are the scenarios I have tried and the results are all different.

I would like for the original jpg (from the camera) to open in AP at 300 dpi (like when a PS file opens). Then I could crop and tone and save the photo without changing the dpi. That is how it currently works for me using PS.

Any insight into how this works in AP would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I sent the file again.

I am using the current version.

Could you crop and resize a new file in AP, export/save it as a jpg and send it to me. I can then try to open it in PS and in AP to see what happens. This may help me determine where my workflow is off or if there is a problem.

Thanks.

Jay

• 1 year later...

I have found this remains an issue - which is in my view is very significant in terms of both user experience and functionality.

This is what happens.

Open a photo taken on a phone in AP and in Document>Resize Document it reads Size: 3104pt x 1746pt; DPI 72

Open the same photo in PS and in Image>Image Size it reads Size: 3104pt x 1746pt; DPI 72

Original file size is 1.896MB

Change the resolution in AP: Document>Resize Document>DPI 300>uncheck Resample>click Resize

Reopen Document>Resize Document it reads Size: 745pt x 419; DPI 300 <cancel>

Export the file to jpeg File>Export...>Export Settings size shows as 3104x1746>click Export

File size is now 5.499MB

Open the _exported_ jpeg in AP and in Document>Resize Document it reads Size: 3104pt x1746pt; DPI 72

Open the same file in PS and in Image>Image Size it reads Size: 3104pt x 1746pt; DPI 72

?!

Place the exported image in an InDesign Document and check the Link information

Links>select image and it reads Actual PPI: 300; Dimensions: 3104pt x 1746pt

?!!

THEN

Change the resolution in PS: Image>Image Size>DPI 300>uncheck Resample>click OK

Save file as jpeg File>Save As...> click Save

File size is now 4.357MB

Open File in AP, Document>Resize Document it reads Size: 745pt x 419; DPI 300 <cancel>

This is to say, the resolution has clearly been changed but neither AP nor PS is able to display the correct information.

The same thing happens whether the file is exported before or after saving the file as and .afphoto and even after closing and reopening the .afphoto file.

Thanks for any help in the matter.

Yes, this is still an issue and the bug still exists. Affinity's solution is to uncheck the "embed metadata" box but this erases all the metadata including caption, copyright, etc, etc, etc (not a solution).

Affinity Photo is USELESS without them fixing it. I paid for it already so I am sure they are doing nothing to improve because they already have my money (I couldn't get an answer from anyone when I asked for my money back).

Everything you say is true (i can not confirm your indesign comment), but if people I send photos to can not see that it is 300 dpi in PhotoShop then they do not believe it to actually be 300 dpi.

Sorry I can't help you and that the support team at Affinity can't/won't help either. Maybe they will get to it someday.

13 hours ago, jay1 said:

Everything you say is true (i can not confirm your indesign comment), but if people I send photos to can not see that it is 300 dpi in PhotoShop then they do not believe it to actually be 300 dpi.

Why does it matter to them? They need educating, that's all. It seems a waste to spend hundreds on a program if they don't understand the absolute basics.

Inches is a ridiculous way of measuring pixel images. And DPI stands for Dots Per Inch, not Pixels. In printing, dots can be made up of lots of dots. An imagesetter is 2540 dots per inch (or the one I used was) to print a dot for a 150 line screen, (150 Dots Per Inch) each dot is made up of 17 smaller dots (assuming it is full size). A typical 360 dpi printer may print four dots per dot, That's why people like Epson often quote 1440 dpi.

And, for a display screen, how big is an inch?  There can be the same number of pixels on a 50" TV or a 5" smart phone, say 1920.  72 pixels on a smart phone takes up a lot less space than 72 pixels on a 50" TV. Yet the image could  be described as 72 ppi,  300 ppi, or even 600 ppi, with the same number of pixels. 

The only thing you can be sure of is that 1920 pixels will will the whole screen, the device ignores dpi completely. The rest is up to chance.

The only thing that matters is the number of pixels. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

The only thing that matters is the number of pixels. 

While I absolutely agree with the statement that what matters is the number of pixels within its container (i.e., the effective resolution), depending upon the receiving application it can be confusing to inexperienced operators. Most layout applications use this DPI metadata for initial sizing on the page and can be helpful in placing operations and save time/effort.

In short, Serif applications ought to be able to change just the DPI metadata. This then wouldn't be an issue and there wouldn't be several threads on this subject. The image editors I use do this just fine. Serif's ought to as well.

Mike

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

Even when the pixel dimensions stay the same and dpi value usually does not matter – AP still should respect dpi setting. 

Agreed. It is easy to write the metadata to new files but much trickier to modify existing metadata than one might think. That probably explains why they haven't fixed this yet, but it does not make it any less an issue, particularly since there is no in-app workaround.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7