You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

300 dpi export shows as 72 dpi in PhotoShop

Thanks for the additional comments.  My concern is pragmatic.  I was asked for a 300dpi image for printing and when I checked in AP after resizing, it said 72.  I did not want to get an email back saying I had sent the wrong resolution - and then email back saying, 'trust me' or 'put it into InDesign and it should register as 300dpi.....  

That's the thing. Another application will not initially size it as intended without the dpi metadata being updated. Only once it is manually resized in the receiving application will its effective dpi show the intended dpi.

It simply needs fixed. One shouldn't have to wipe out the rest of the metadata to obtain a proper dpi. For layout work where that metadata will not be used for captioning, though, it is easy to just wipe the metadata in order to have the dpi info rewritten.

50 minutes ago, ksk said:

Thanks for the additional comments.  My concern is pragmatic.  I was asked for a 300dpi image for printing and when I checked in AP after resizing, it said 72.  I did not want to get an email back saying I had sent the wrong resolution - and then email back saying, 'trust me' or 'put it into InDesign and it should register as 300dpi.....  

If you are using Windows, what does that say the EXIF dpi is.?

Right click on the image Properties > Details (tab)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 3 months later...

I am new to the Affinity and the Forum. I'm trying to make the full transition to AP from PS and have found only this issue that I cannot overcome or find an in-program workaround. Since this post is 4-months old, has there been any additional insights into the problem?

I can resize the image to a print standard 300 dpi by adjusting the pixel ratio and dpi to the output size I need, the resize without resampling. The "new" document can even be saved at that resolution as an 300 dpi AP document or exported as a 300 dpi TIFF. Unfortunately, when I attempt to export either of those documents as a JPG the result is, as everyone here is commenting on, still at 72 (but the pixel size remains true).

Sorry, to reiterate the problem, but thought I should share my experience with AP in full.

Thank you for your time. Please post if a solution or workaround is available.

**An update (before the moderator could approve the original post)

I continued to explore the other AP forum contributors and discovered another question that resolves the problem of keeping the preferred higher dpi at export.

Here is the workflow that was successful for me:

1. Imported 72 dpi image
2. Changed the dpi to 300 and unchecked resample image* 
      *(this allows the pixel size remains the same)
3. Resize the image to the ratio/size that I need using the 300 dpi setting and then keep the resampling checked.
4. Export JPG (prefer the Bilinear setting)
5. Click “More” below the Export guides.
6. Uncheck “Embed Metadata” and close
7. Export

When I opened the saved JPG it retained the 300 dpi resolution.

I hope this is helpful.

Edited by 0Kami
I discovered a solution to the problem via another forum thread and thought it would be helpful to others that find this thread via a Search Engine (as I did).

I am happy to see this issue has been fixed with the latest update! Now, When I import an image for the first time, I do the following to change it to 300 dpi without losing any metadata.

1. Open image

2. Document-> resize document...

3. Change dpi to 300

4. check the resample box

5. click resize button

Image is now set at 300 dpi and will show as 300 dpi in other programs including PhotoShop.

I set up a macro to one click this operation for each image instead of going through the process one step at a time.

Thanks.