You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zoom with Apple Magic mouse on Photo

I want to be able to zoom with my mouse instead of panning when i scroll with my mouse.  I went to preferences and tools and clicked on "use mouse wheel to zoom" but it still wants to pan.    I know I can do it when i hit the option key but I would prefer not to.....  I have the latest OS Monterey with the latest Affinity photo

Maybe too obvious a question but are you sure you are using your mouse's scroll wheel to try to do this? What kind of mouse are you using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, MrsLocstar said:

im using my apple magic mouse... 

Apple has never made a mouse that is not [expletives deleted] useless.

Do yourself a really big favour and save up for one of their well made and useful trackpads.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Do yourself a really big favour and save up for one of their well made and useful trackpads.

I have a macbook pro that has a trackpad but when at my desk i like to use my external devices (mouse, keyboard and monitor)

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Those are often even more horrably for power mouse users, thus I say to the OP, better do yourself a favor and get a good "ergo vertical mouse".

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Those are often even more horrably for power mouse users, thus I say to the OP, better do yourself a favor and get a good "ergo vertical mouse".

Just about anything with a real scroll wheel is better for this than any of Apple's devices that use a touch surface for it. My wife uses a Logitech M535 wireless mouse with her Mac & it works very well. It is also often available at a discount, uses a single AA battery that lasts at least 6 months, & even has a tilt-wheel function to enable side-to-side scrolling.

I use a Kensington "Expert Mouse" trackball with a scroll ring but trackballs are not a good choice for everyone & the Kensington ones are not cheap, although they last forever.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I meant more something like this ...

... I use one from ISY under Catalina which is pretty fatigue-free and good for the wrists.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

I meant more something like this ...

I assumed you did when you mentioned a vertical mouse, but they are not cheap so I suggested the M535, which is widely available in the US for $20 to $25, including in some of the big box bricks & mortar superstores like Walmart so it could easily be returned without the need to ship it back if it isn't liked.

I'm not sure how widely available it is outside the US, though.

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

... but they are not cheap so I suggested the M535, which is widely available in the US for $20 to $25 ...

Even the "Logitech MX Vertical" one is pretty good and among one of the best here, there are a bunch of such vertical mices from several other vendors too (take a look above on Amazon for example). - Price wise most of these other brand mices (Anker, ICY, Hama, CSL, Perixx ... etc.) cost only between €16 - €26 here in Europe, so they will be even cheapter in the USA.

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

FWIW, when I click on that I get an Amazon page saying "Currently Unavailable" & that they do not know if or when it will be back in stock.

Regardless, I suggested the M535 in part because it is widely available in the US from stores with a local physical presence so returning it if isn't liked is very easy to do. I do not know about the other brands or models.

Affinity Photo 

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, when I click on that I get an Amazon page saying "Currently Unavailable" & that they do not know if or when it will be back in stock.

That was just a quick example link to show that there are a bunch of such mices. - I've bought my ISY from a big German computer store chain instead, so returning is no issue. Though returning something bought from Amazon or other online stores is easy to do too, in case you don't like it or it doesn't work as expected etc.

Further here's your Walmart in contrast ...

... and as you can see they offer a bunch of those vertical mices you will also find on Amazon. And price wise, as I said, much cheaper than here in Europe!

• 3 months later...

i'm with thomasmoulson. there should be compatibility.  there is in photoshop.

i'm a new affinity/mac user after 25 years with adobe/pc.  the magic mouse has a ton of benefits i'm enjoying (after i added a couple of sticky grippy handles to the sides) and i found i could zoom using it with designer.  tonight in photo, i cannot make it work.  why does zoom with the magic mouse work in one affinity program and not another?

10 hours ago, dharmapocalypse said:

why does zoom with the magic mouse work in one affinity program and not another?

In Preferences > Tools, is "Use mouse wheel to zoom" enabled in both apps?

Affinity Photo 

On 4/18/2022 at 11:34 AM, Old Bruce said:

This is subjective. I own and have been using both literally all day long for many years, and I couldn't disagree more. The Magic Mouse is fantastic in my opinion.

You can get much more use out of it (and the Magic Trackpad) using BetterTouchTool, an inexpensive utility that assigns commands to gestures.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:06 AM, MrsLocstar said:

I want to be able to zoom with my mouse instead of panning when i scroll with my mouse.  I went to preferences and tools and clicked on "use mouse wheel to zoom" but it still wants to pan.    I know I can do it when i hit the option key but I would prefer not to.....  I have the latest OS Monterey with the latest Affinity photo

It would be annoying if you didn't have to use a modifier (Option), at least I wouldn't like it at all.

My suggestion is to download BetterTouchTool and program the mouse to zoom when you slide with two fingers, or a similar gesture.

BTT can assign sets of actions to individual programs, so this wouldn't have to be systemwide.