You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

On my Mac, I can duplicate that if in the Develop Assistant I change the Tone curve setting from Apply tone curve to Take no action.

If I leave it set to apply the curve I get the same result as @v_kyr posted.

You are right, on my pc the tone curve setting was set to take no action, changed the setting to apply tone curve reveals all the details and contrast of the photo.

I get a similar result to @v_kyr blue sky not magenta. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Claudio60 said:

Just opened your photo in AP (I'm on Windows) and the colors are ok, but the image lacks in details 

SharedScreenshot.jpg

That’s probably because it has had nil presharpening applied but Im not sure if that's  what you're seeing. What I noticed as previously mentioned is that if I deselect apply tone curve then the image loses the magenta but comes out very flat

Im on this set up

Screenshot 2022-04-19 at 21.29.39.png

50 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Guess we just need someone else on Monterey to give it a try.

Cuz' all good here on Big Sur.

Monterey is a dog I agree, but Ive not seen this sort of aberration anywhere else (windows resizing is my main gripe along with it being very very slow compared to Mojave that this iMac came with)

So just ran through this again
As you can see LR produces a brighter image with no other adjustments than AFF does (Tone curve OFF). Affinity produces similarly bright image with tone Curve ON, BUT with added magenta sky (I sharpened the file s this time as the comment was made that it wasn't sharp)

Im intrigued why AF doesn't produce an image of similar brightness to LR. As you can see the histograms are not the same at all- yet LR had no import preset applied nor any other change apart from sharpening ( but the history was the same before) i.e.e the image was RESET before export

LR HISTO

LR_HISTO_9995.png

AFF HISTO

AFF_HISTO_9995.png

AFF NO Tone Curve

AFF_screenshot_sans_TC.png

AFF with Tone Curve

AFF_Screenshot_with_TC.png

AFF Jpg

AFp_9995.jpg

LR Screenshot

LR_9995_Screenshot.png

LR jpg

LR_V8A9995.jpg

Edited by hypnoswan
edited for clarity or meaning

Hmmm. My AP screenshot with Apply Tone Curve (and nothing else) looks very very close to your LR screenshot. Maybe a hair more magenta... but nothing like your experience. And the Histogram looks similar to LR too.

Still looking for another Monterey to chime in.
Another thought, are you on an M1 chip by any chance? Duh, nvmd, Intel i9. Staring me right in the face 🧐 🥴.

AP (obviously 🙃) - apply tone curve
1105157025_ScreenShot2022-04-19at6_34_26PM.thumb.png.e49da8dc83f9e37b376d421c95728410.png

I've got pretty much identical results whether testing this in on macOS Monterey 12.3.1 (M1, top row), Rosetta (second row), or Windows 10 Pro (third row). Affinity Photo 1.10.5, with defaults (Tone curve applied) The bottom row shows default RAW processing on PS 2022 when using the same workflow (but without optics correction applied). The PS version has less magenta on sky but I'd not say the APhoto versions have a magenta cast, though.

raw_dev_mac_win.jpg.504db3a94b1beb2ef9edd63a4e312f85.jpg

Rawtherapee opens the cr2 file as Affinity Photo does without a tone curve applied, maybe not as dull but as near as damn it the same. Apply a bit of tone mapping and the image brightens in a more restrained manner than the tone curve applied in Affinity Photo, see visuals below.

Opened in Rawtherapee
1071425476_Rawtherappenotonemapping.thumb.png.4d9acb6f5cdcf4d813a1925031ee0b49.png

Rawtherapee Tone Mapping applied
1325869577_Rawtherapeetonemappingapplied.thumb.png.811eaaf0bf12ffd2ea0ae4d436ec7f85.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Hmmm. My AP screenshot with Apply Tone Curve (and nothing else) looks very very close to your LR screenshot. Maybe a hair more magenta... but nothing like your experience. And the Histogram looks similar to LR too.

Still looking for another Monterey to chime in.
Another thought, are you on an M1 chip by any chance?

AP (obviously 🙃) - apply tone curve
1105157025_ScreenShot2022-04-19at6_34_26PM.thumb.png.e49da8dc83f9e37b376d421c95728410.png

No it’s a 27” intelimac

23 minutes ago, hypnoswan said:

I think the next port of call is Canons own DPP - is it reasonable to suggest this as a standard point of reference for the histogram/exposure/brightnes/etc

Yes, DPP should apply the Canon standard settings as defaults for your 5DSR, so might always be a good comparison reference.

However there must be some reason it looks only on your system that much magenta casted here! - Did you maybe applied any other settings or filters etc. as presets or the like in APh?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

26 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Yes, DPP should apply the Canon standard settings as defaults for your 5DSR, so might always be a good comparison reference.

However there must be some reason it looks only on your system that much magenta casted here! - Did you maybe applied any other settings or filters etc. as presets or the like in APh?

As far as Im aware I have not applied ANY  changes to it in Affinity other than turning on/off the aforementioned tone curve 

Here are the examples from DPP. 

It does seem to me that it is only Affinity that lowers the overall exposure according to the histogram

DPP Histo

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 10.57.52.png

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 10.58.00.png

32 minutes ago, hypnoswan said:

As far as Im aware I have not applied ANY  changes to it in Affinity other than turning on/off the aforementioned tone curve 

So you didn't used/enabled the APh white balance & tint settings at all or the like?

35 minutes ago, hypnoswan said:

It does seem to me that it is only Affinity that lowers the overall exposure according to the histogram

Well, if some APh setting is altered from the intial/default settings, it will influence what the histogramm shows up. - Thus checking your APh settings, if maybe something is accidently enabled and thus influences the image result here, is one thing to check too then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

So you didn't used/enabled the APh white balance & tint settings at all or the like

Well, if some APh setting is altered from the intial/default settings, it will influence what the histogramm shows up. - Thus checking your APh settings, if maybe something is accidently enabled and thus influences the image result here, is one thing to check too then.

Nope- didn't change any settings. I have owned Affinity Photo since its launch but never tried it until now. Long time I know. So no previous settings

But Yes I will double check