You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to learn Affinity Photo with a view to replacing my Adobe stuff but am struggling I've watched as many tutorials as I can without falling asleep ( a problem I have) and cannot find an answer as to why my skies are magenta. 

Nor can I find a dropper tool to set a white balance. (I know I can use the sliders but that isn't what I want.)

Screenshots  of same unadjusted file opened in Affinity Photo and in Lightroom Classic

Screenshot 2022-04-17 at 17.22.01.png

Screenshot 2022-04-17 at 18.02.54.png

Edited by hypnoswan

For whitebalance settings see ...

• RAW tools

White Balance Tool White Balance Tool

Automatically sets the White Balance of the image depending on the colour of the pixel clicked under the tool's cursor or pixels selected by dragging (averaged colour).

• White Balance adjustment
  • ... etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Are these RAW format photos or something else? If RAW, which kind?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, hypnoswan said:

Screenshots  of same unadjusted file opened in Affinity Photo and in Lightroom Classic

I think there have been some previous reports of this problem. Can you upload that sample RAW file to see if it is the same issue?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Open one of the RAW files and click on the assistant icon assistantoptions.png.925fe89bb305d735d4f06b89d95d0443.png and try changing the Raw Engine from Serif Labs to Apple (Core Image Raw), also see if the Tone Curve set to Take no action helps or exacerbates the issue.

image.png.7da0efae6af9f5934d76ecf34ae7aece.png

Also mention the camera and lens used.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks First defence I tried the RAW engine first and that made no difference but changing the tone curve to take no action did make a difference, however the image still looks a bit flat and underexposed compared to other editors  (ACR, LR, RawPower). RawPower version (no adjustments) attached for comparison1274251932_Screenshot2022-04-18at12_53_32.thumb.png.be29895afd5e1d374d41807bfb5756e7.png

RAW POWER.png

Thanks for all the suggestions: I. did try the white balance tool ( once I found it thanks!) to no avail, the magenta cast, though slightly mitigated, persisted.

by all means I can upload it but will I be able to upload a 50+MP file here?

IT is a Canon RAW  CR2 file (Canon 5DsR). Lens Canon 16-35 f4L IS

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 12.59.17.png

50MB isn't that much, I've uploaded videos three times as big. 🙃

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, hypnoswan said:

by all means I can upload it but will I be able to upload a 50+MP file here?

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

50MB isn't that much, I've uploaded videos three times as big. 🙃

MegaPixels are not MegaBytes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

MegaPixels are not MegaBytes.

Force of habit, my head has prick-dick-tive text. 😁

1 hour ago, Lisbon said:

Hi @hypnoswan

Hope you dont mind me trying to fix the problem in Photo Persona.

RedChnFix.png.13a82911cfc232e4de588bb5783f14b2.png

Don't mind at all Lisbon, its more that Im puzzled why it happens in the first place..it only happens in Affinity , none of the other editing programs. It seems lies starting with a handicap to start isn't the best option. Also I very curious to know why it does this

I think a lot of RAW editors have a recipe to get you started and some are better than others, I use Nikons NEF RAW files and although they look a little flat to start with I can get them something like in a short space of time with Affinity Photo, I never have issues with wrong colours. It must be something to do with how Affinity Photo reads the CR2 RAW data, it would be nice if Affinity commented on this as CR2 is not a new format and am I right in thinking the CR2 RAW is TiFF based.

Out of curiosity what happens if you use Adobe DNG Converter to convert the CR2 to a DNG RAW file and then open the DNG in Affinity Photos Develop Persona?

1 hour ago, hypnoswan said:

...its more that Im puzzled why it happens in the first place...

I dont have an answer for this problem either, but I found something that I found strange.
I took some samples where the magenta is more noticeable (Sky) and found that the values of green and blue are almost the same in Affinity and Lightroom.
When comparing the two images, Affinity versus Lightroom, it seems to me that there is a problem with the red channel.
This is why i used a channel mixer to modify the red channel.

It's a known problem for APh with Canon cr2 & 3 RAW images, see related ...

... though I thought it has been said that they partly fixed that problem, which seems however not to be the case for the RAWs of all Canon cams here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

... on this as CR2 is not a new format and am I right in thinking the CR2 RAW is TiFF based.

I can tell you at least, that nearly every cams RAW format once upon a time in the one or other way originated from the TIFF file format.

.CR2 test file for reference. Downloaded from DPReview: https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-1dx/canon-1dxA7.HTM

E1DXLL0000507.CR2

35 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

.CR2 test file for reference. ...

I think in this case it's better to download then RAW samples of the "Canon 5DSR" the OP has instead those of an Canon 1dx.

A quick test with this .cr2 RAW ...

... looked OK so far though ...

tryout.png.b749f76d8df1f2b213d886bc10d84066.png

I’ve not had this problem with any other editing program on any of my 80,000 CR2 files so it seems the problem lies with Affinity.

sadly I don’t have the time or patience to compensate for Affinities failings. Hopefully however there will be a fix and then I can take a another shot at ditching Adobe

7 minutes ago, hypnoswan said:

I’ve not had this problem with any other editing program on any of my 80,000 CR2 files so it seems the problem lies with Affinity.

You maybe can provide one of your RAWs here as an sample attachment for tryouts.

Here's how your Canon cr2 RAW looks for me in the APh Develop Persona (as default without applying anything to it, under MacOS Catalina with the Serif libraw based RAW engine) and when exported as an JPG file ...

aph_develop_persona.png.f2368e0de47ec08656593674023c56e6.png

_V8A9995.thumb.jpg.bfaa1429b3db255397349d5ac7d7622c.jpg

I already thought something like this! -- Which MacOS and Affinity Photo versions do you actually use on your side?

3 minutes ago, Claudio60 said:

Just opened your photo in AP (I'm on Windows) and the colors are ok, but the image lacks in details 

On my Mac, I can duplicate that if in the Develop Assistant I change the Tone curve setting from Apply tone curve to Take no action.

If I leave it set to apply the curve I get the same result as @v_kyr posted.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7