You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pizza, avocado, and coffee

How would I create the avocado design?

Also how would I create the coffee design with the swirl effect in the coffee?

And lastly how would I create the pizza design? I know it’s a triangle and lots of ellipse circles, just don’t know how to do the crust or the top of the pizza.

Thanks

3494E5EF-4CAB-40EE-AF8A-A3A59FF00ECD.jpeg

4CCC5463-43E1-48B5-B985-F99627CF15FA.jpeg

A0925070-8F08-46B2-8604-8016B2F7C645.jpeg

The avocado is just an egg shape with the sides squashed in at the top (and probably the top rounded out a little compared to a typical hen’s egg). We discussed an almost identical coffee cup in another thread: I don’t recall those lines near the top of the cup, but there was a swirl of cream in the coffee and two beans on the saucer.

Use the Pen Tool to draw the green shapes and the crust of the pizza, and use ellipses for the pepperoni slices.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You asked about two of those yesterday:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here we go.

One white swirl as a .svg (scalable vector graphics) file.

In Affinity Designer

File

Place

Then you could use the transform panel to resize it, then make the height smaller so as to give the view as viewed from other than directly vertically.

William

swirl.svg

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

@Josie Ah, I have just realized that this is an Affinity on iPad question.

So using the file might be different from how one would use it on a desktop PC.

I expect @Alfred will be able to advise on that if necessary.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

For the avocado you could try using the Tear tool (that is tear as in teardrop shape not tear as in to rip paper)

On a Windows PC, one uses

Layer

Convert to Curves

Then use the node tool to select the top node and use the tool on the toolbar to convert the point at the tip of the tear to become smooth.

I do not know how that is done on an IPad. If you are stuck then Alfred might possibly advise on the iPad part.

Either use that as is, or make a copy and try adding several smooth points between the lower point on each side and the stalk end, and move some, but not the ones at each end of the several points towards the central axis. I drew the tear shape with the point at the top, so I moved the additional points horizontally.

I had a go but I felt that my fairly quick try did not improve the original that I had kept.

Someone taking longer and a better artist might get a better result with the second part.

William

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You asked about two of those yesterday:

Ah, but it was not the same questions. Those questions presupposed using the Pen Tool.

There are no replies so far.

So questions not presupposing using the Pen tool have been asked in this thread.

William

26 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So questions not presupposing using the Pen tool have been asked in this thread.

It would have been better to stay in the original thread, since the question was about creating the same objects.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

For the pizza crust I did a quick test in Affinity Designer on a laptop computer.

I used 

File

Place

and pasted a copy of the image of a pizza gathered from your question and I scaled it larger.

I tried to have it on a lower layer but I could not seem to get that right.

However, i used the Pen Tool, and put points over the black line that draws the edge of the crust.

I went along a bit over half way along the top so as to go beyond that dent. I used twenty clicks. I drew in green so as it was clear where the new line was over the original black line. I then used the node tool, did CTRL A to select all of the nodes and then made each point smooth by clicking onthe Convert to smooth button on the toolbar. I then widened the line.

It was still green, but I was just testing the concept.

I think that you will need about 70 points to go all around the crust. If you make a complete loop then you can have a fill colour and a line colour.

Then do each of the short lines separately, with just a few points each.

Also do the white highlight lines separately.

I hope this helps.

William

13 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I think that you will need about 70 points to go all around the crust.

:o

It’s only a pizza crust, not a detailed map of the coastline! A dozen nodes should suffice.

Then do each of the short lines separately, with just a few points each.

Two nodes each, or possibly three if you want a kink somewhere in the middle.

Alfred spacer.png

6 hours ago, William Overington said:

I think that you will need about 70 points to go all around the crust. If you make a complete loop then you can have a fill colour and a line colour.

You don’t want to spare any node Mr Overington!

(That swirl has so many nodes because you probably made it with the pencil tool and exported it without applying “expand stroke” — SVG tends to apply nodes like that for non-expanded vector curves upon export, edit — as you know).

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

4 minutes ago, iuli said:

(That swirl has so many nodes because you probably made it with the pencil tool and exported it without applying “expand stroke” — SVG tends to apply nodes like that for non-expanded vector curves upon export, edit — as you know).

No, it wasn’t drawn with the Pencil Tool. As noted in the linked thread, it was exported from Serif PagePlus where it was created as a QuickShape (similar to the Shape Tool shapes in the Affinity apps).

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...