You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Something has changed when I export a photo, in that the file size is drastically reduced from the original RAW file.  I just test ran a 24.30 MP RAW file with no edits and exported from the develop module; it drops the size to 8.00 MB at quality set to 100.  I can change the file size by modifying the px boxes in the export settings box, but I've never had to do that before.  I've never understood any of this file sizing anyway, but until now my files were always saved around 15 MB or so, and I could adjust to a smaller size if I wanted.  It is also set at bileaner.  Even save, or save as has the same result.  Did I change some setting unwittingly perhaps?  

Image size? Color format 8 vs 16 bit? Some adjustments - blur, unsharp? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, Wags said:

Something has changed when I export a photo, in that the file size is drastically reduced from the original RAW file.  I just test ran a 24.30 MP RAW file with no edits and exported from the develop module; 

I'm confused - exporting isn't available in the develop persona, and you can't switch to the export persona (or any other) without developing the image first.

7 hours ago, Wags said:

I can change the file size by modifying the px boxes in the export settings box, but I've never had to do that before. 

Why do you have to do it now?  Aside from the file size being much smaller than expected is there something wrong with the exported image?

7 hours ago, Wags said:

Even save, or save as has the same result.

Sorry, more confusion!  If you're starting with a RAW file and then saving, the output file will be .afphoto and much bigger then the source file so I'm not sure what you mean by "the same result".

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Psenda - My test image is RAW, 6034x4028px, 34.20MP, RGBA/16.  No adjustments, I just opened in RAW, clicked develop, and exported the file in photo persona.  at 100% quality it only wants to save it at 8.00MB.  The photo is not blurry or out of focus - it still looks like the original, just much smaller.  Up until a couple weeks ago, that file would be more like 15MP after editing, unless cropping was involved, then I'd expect a smaller file size.

Sorry IanSG, I thought I was working in develop, I meant photo persona.  You click develop in RAW to go into the other personas.  The exported image(s) looks fine, just suddenly a much smaller file size than I've seen before.  I checked my camera settings, they are set at RAW and large JPEG.  I do remember one time that the AF file size was enormous.  I don't remember what I did to get that, but it wasn't with the test photo I was working with.  I appreciate you input - Happy Easter

2 hours ago, Wags said:

it still looks like the original, just much smaller.

That a JPEG file is smaller than the original (RAW) is fine - that's a meaning of lossy compression.

2 hours ago, Wags said:

Up until a couple weeks ago, that file would be more like 15MP after editing

Can you try to develop this same file? And compare the result.

Mac or Win? If Mac - what RAW develop engine? Couldn't there be any update/change in the OS?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Could I suggest that you take one of the previous, larger. files and one of the newer, smaller, files and compare them in APhoto to see what the differences are. (File type, physical size, dpi, colour profile etc.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad