You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refine selection tool severely lagging/disappearing in iPad version

RosaL

• Staff

Hi @RosaL,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I'd like to try force restarting your iPad, as this will clear the apps cache and can fix oddities on the iPad. Please find our FAQ below for steps to perform this -

Once restarted, launch Photo and try refining your selection once again. Does this reduce the lag you're seeing please?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

The performance depends on certain factors, e.g.:

• document size in pixel (ok to about 24 MP, degrading for larger files)
  • Not having RGB/8 color format, especially LAB degrades severely
  • heavy filters like blur / sharpen with huge radius (100 or 100px)

Any chance you can upload the document so we can check on our devices?

Which iPad model do you have?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault thanks for the reply! 

I'm a complete newb to photo manipulation etc so I don’t quite understand all the terminology 🙈

I’ve taken a screenshot of the document when I go to export, does that answer some of the above? There’s no filter or adjustments on it, I was just trying to cut the flowers from the background but this seems to be an issue for with with other photos too, regardless of the size of the document. 

in terms of iPad I have a 7th generation, model number MW752B/A.

what format is best for the document upload?

72A7229F-A7B6-4867-81A2-F46F3F87999A.png

Your iPad seems fine, newer and more performant than my own.

Please check if you have the latest OS version, there were some nasty issues with older.

The file sizes seams reasonable, too, so normally you shouldn’t see these delay issues.

For upload you could simply choose the original afphoto format.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Thanks for trying that for me and I'm sorry to hear this - in your screen recording the brush size when refining is 4.7px in size, which may explain why you are unable to see the refine brush strokes.

If you increase the size of the brush here, are you able to more clearly see the selection you are making? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)