aladar

How do I convert a selection into a vector shape?

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

the other advantage is you have total control over your art instead of what amounts to a random guesstimate of the art you want tracing, plus you'd probably spend as much time tweaking the trace as if you done it from scratch.

While some of the existing auto-tracers can, with a certain amount of human input, do a half way decent job of minimizing excessive node creation while still preserving a usable amount of path detail, I have yet to find one capable of grouping & stacking shape layers into the kind of parent/child object hierarchies humans typically create to simplify editing complex documents, or recognizing that a single gradient-filled shape could be substituted for a dozen or more overlaid shapes of different colors, or that a variable width stroke on a single shape would be better than overlaying smaller shapes on a larger one to achieve the same look.

I think this kind of 'intelligent' auto-tracing is or soon will be possible due to advances in machine learning, & from a few remarks made by one of the developers around a year ago, this is what they would like to add to Affinity Designer ... eventually.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

I'd love this feature as well - would be a nice way to help with converting a raster logo to an SVG one.

Even if the SVG would be a subject to further adjustments, it'd still save a lot of work, especially for the simple stuff.

8 hours ago, DaftPuzzler said:

It's 2019.  How is this still not a feature?  Every other major editor I use can do it.

Because this can be done in most other editors, it would make sense to deal with more pressing features first and I can't see a great deal of benefit to having a tracing feature in affinity if it's not better than other apps tracing features, so, use the other apps to process a bitmap for vector conversion.

I personally use Vector Magic and I doubt very much affinity could make a better version of this app for inclusion in Affinity 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions