You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I convert a selection into a vector shape?

Hi,

To remove the background around an object in a photo I can use the pen tool and draw a shape above it then use that shape as a mask. I want to use a selection made with the selection brush, turn it into a shape to save me time. (I find adjusting shape masks much more efficient than playing with selections.) Is this conversion from selection to vector shape possible in Affinity Designer?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, somnolentsurfer said:

Has this been implemented yet? Just needed it and still can't work out how it should work.

Well, the previous post was a week ago and there have been no new releases or betas...so what do you think? Use one of the work-arounds in that post or another application altogether. 

On 8/16/2017 at 5:08 AM, ITSecMedia said:

Is this functionality available now?

I really need it to reverse engineer ( pixel to vector ) a text in a no longer assailable font of a customer logo.

Or, identify the font used, then use that font and redraw any other elements. It'll be better than a trace job.

54 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

Sometimes a lot easier said than done!

I remember many a happy hour trying to find out what typeface I needed to match. :(

It prompted me to buy a book called "Rookledge's International typefinder" 1990. Over 700 typefaces laid out, categorised by serif, sans serif etc. Funnily  enough, it is above my desk now, although I haven't opened it in years. 

There are so many now and of course each typeface is so easy to modify. Yes, tracing is best. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2017 at 6:54 PM, MikeW said:

Well, the previous post was a week ago and there have been no new releases or betas...so what do you think? Use one of the work-arounds in that post or another application altogether. 

Ah, sorry. Didn't notice that the last post had been so recent. Thought I was reading an old thread!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

'Bumping' what amounts to a feature request here in the Questions forum is largely pointless because this forum is intended for questions about using the software, including things like if a feature exists. Posting to or 'bumping' an existing topic in the Feature Requests, Suggestions and Feedback forum is more appropriate for that, but as the developers have explained many times, the determination of which features will be added & when depends on several different things, including the amount of work required to implement them & integrate them with the existing ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Looks like its time to practice your tracing skills because by the time that feature becomes available you probably won't need it because you be a boss at tracing. the other advantage is you have total control over your art instead of what amounts to a random guesstimate of the art you want tracing, plus you'd probably spend as much time tweaking the trace as if you done it from scratch.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Looks like its time to practice your tracing skills because by the time that feature becomes available you probably won't need it because you be a boss at tracing. the other advantage is you have total control over your art instead of what amounts to a random guesstimate of the art you want tracing, plus you'd probably spend as much time tweaking the trace as if you done it from scratch.

I agree with what you're saying. The only reason I want a 'convert selection to vector' is to convert random/organic patterns to a vector shape. While it's a good skill to be able to create your very own stylish looking stencil from an image using the pen tool, when I just want to get a few shapes for cracks/explosion holes/rusted metal outlines, scratches etc etc, I just want to select the shape and convert. It takes away from being creative having to spend so long individually tracing out random shapes. Sometimes you just want to use a shape for reference, bang - convert to shape, job done, then move on to the rest of your design.