You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All Affinity apps combined in only one for 2.0 release? :)

Hmm, I think I still would prefer three different applications that could work with each other through the Persona Switching.

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

I don't think that I would like all the stuff in only one app. I'm afraid that would make it very cluttered and would possibly cost performance. And it would blow up the price. And some people don't need all that stuff. Why should they pay for it?

But I could imagine some progress in the Studiolink technology. For example that you don't need to install Assets, brushes, styles... for each app separately. That would be nice. Even because I'm afraid that I installed some Designer Brushes to Photo, that cost disc space now, without working or even appearing in the app.

The export persona is missing on publisher, text frame on designer is very limited (blue background color...). I need to have multiple softwares up to date, multiple assets, brushes, configs and custom shortcuts for each app so that's why I think one Affinity app would be very great. I don't want to constantly switch between softwares, it costs memory and disk spaces.

For small budget, we can think of "volume" to activate like the studio link with limited features, problem solved!

Normally a Graphics Designer doesn't need to switch constantly between three apps - if he knows what he does. Do you know any app that contains Image editing, vector graphics and DTP capabilities on a professional level in only one app? And if Serif would do that, it would of course result in a higher price. They don't develop software only for welfare. And the higher price would make the app less attractive for people who don't need the capabilities of the other apps. I don't think that it would be a clever solution. Neither for Serif, nor for the users.

I work in the video game industry and have been using Photoshop for over 20 years. 2 years ago I switched to the affinity suite to do UI for games. I need a full set of tools to do what I used to do with only Photoshop: vector, photo editing, mockup, icons, etc...

Affinity Designer is very versatile, but I only need two tools exclusive to Photo and Publisher, namely the Flood Selection Tool and the Text Frame. It's a bit silly to use 3 software for only two missing tools. For now, I have no choice if I really want to get rid of Photoshop for my work.

5 minutes ago, madPXL said:

Affinity Designer is very versatile, but I only need two tools exclusive to Photo and Publisher, namely the Flood Selection Tool and the Text Frame.

The Flood Selection Tool is available in the Pixel persona in Affinity Designer. Only Publisher offers linked text frames, but text frames can be created in both Designer and Photo if you don’t need them to be linked.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, madPXL said:

The Text Frame on Designer is set with a light blue colored background, I just want to have a transparent background

Try drawing a text frame and then using Edit > Defaults > Revert.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think it will not be possible for Serif to satisfy all particular desires of all the users with special interests out there. Especially if they are so extensive as in this case. However, I sometimes have situations too, that I miss the opportunities of one of the apps in one of the others and am sad that I must switch than. I think that this will become smoother in the future, with the progress in development of the apps. Of course I would also like to get the apps for less money. Possibly for free? - A dream! 😀 But we should stay realistic and remember one of the main reasons why we put our backs to Adobe.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I usually have Publisher and Designer open at the same time, so haveing them as separate Apps is best for me.

Best regards!

On 4/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, iconoclast said:

And the higher price would make the app less attractive for people who don't need the capabilities of the other apps.

It could be solved by "another" application (called for example Affinity PubDePho :-), which would do everything. The user could then buy either one monster application according to their needs (of course significantly more expensive), or only the partial and cheaper ones.

Of course, it would be better if Serif made the application as a single engine, into which specific functionalities/personas would be purchased/unlocked. In part, this is already the case, because all applications can do what others can (they can load, display, and then continue editing files created in another application).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 hours ago, Pšenda said:

It could be solved by "another" application (called for example Affinity PubDePho :-), which would do everything. The user could then buy either one monster application according to their needs (of course significantly more expensive), or only the partial and cheaper ones.

Of course, it would be better if Serif made the application as a single engine, into which specific functionalities/personas would be purchased/unlocked. In part, this is already the case, because all applications can do what others can (they can load, display, and then continue editing files created in another application).

I could imagine a main administration instance, with the apps as subdivisions. So that, whatever of the three apps you start, you have the three personas to switch between the apps - not only from Publisher. That could be helpful and nice. And this instance would also manage the content of all three apps: templates, assets, brushes, styles... So like you can switch between the different workspaces (Studio Presets), you could also switch between the apps. This main instance could f.e. be called "Affinity Central" or "Affinity Base" ( if it needs a name), but it doesn't need its own interface. It is only the background structure that links the single apps to each other.

But I would definitely not like to have all three apps gathered in one GUI. Because that would mean that we would have to scroll through overloaded menus and to spend a lot of time with searching for and navigating to certain features.

12 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

But I would definitely not like to have all three apps gathered in one GUI. Because that would mean that we would have to scroll through overloaded menus and to spend a lot of time with searching for and navigating to certain features.

I think Serif's way of dividing applications with Person, for avoid overloading menus and control panels, is a good way to put order in control. If you take APublisher and add Export Persona (above all), and possibly Liquify and Tone Persona, then you have/can have an application (Affinity Creative) that will replace all applications from ASuite without overloading the work environment.

P. S. Just my opinion - but for version 2, this / similar change in the Affinity concept would be a wow effect.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

I could imagine a main administration instance, with the apps as subdivisions. So that, whatever of the three apps you start, you have the three personas to switch between the apps - not only from Publisher. That could be helpful and nice. And this instance would also manage the content of all three apps: templates, assets, brushes, styles... So like you can switch between the different workspaces (Studio Presets), you could also switch between the apps. This main instance could f.e. be called "Affinity Central" or "Affinity Base" ( if it needs a name), but it doesn't need its own interface. It is only the background structure that links the single apps to each other.

Yes, my initial idea is to keep all the personna/studio links to switch between designer, photo and publisher with the addition of the Persona Export but with a single app instead of having 3 apps to install, configure and update! We don't want all UI's in one place of course :)

+1 for Affinity Creative name!

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

I could imagine a main administration instance, with the apps as subdivisions. So that, whatever of the three apps you start, you have the three personas to switch between the apps - not only from Publisher.

It would be good if it were possible (I doubt if it is!) for Studio Link to work as fast as it does now, but opening the full version the other apps, rather than just a subset/single persona of the other apps.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

5 minutes ago, madPXL said:

Yes, my initial idea is to keep all the personna/studio links to switch between designer, photo and publisher with the addition of the Persona Export but with a single app instead of having 3 apps to install, configure and update! We don't want all UI's in one place of course :)

+1 for Affinity Creative name!

OK, that could be nice for me too. But we should keep in mind that not all users need f.e. a layout program. And to put all three apps into one would not mean that Serif would sell this All-In-One-Package for the same price as one of the apps. They have to think economical.  Why should someone who is only interested in photo editing, pay for layout and vector graphics stuff too?

So I think this construction kit principle seems to me like a more practicable solution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 3:12 PM, iconoclast said:

Normally a Graphics Designer doesn't need to switch constantly between three apps - if he knows what he does. Do you know any app that contains Image editing, vector graphics and DTP capabilities on a professional level in only one app? And if Serif would do that, it would of course result in a higher price. They don't develop software only for welfare. And the higher price would make the app less attractive for people who don't need the capabilities of the other apps. I don't think that it would be a clever solution. Neither for Serif, nor for the users.

Actually Xara Pro comes close to that. As a consumer app is does all that, perhaps not a professional level but pretty darn close. 

2 hours ago, Bwood said:

Actually Xara Pro comes close to that. As a consumer app is does all that, perhaps not a professional level but pretty darn close. 

Haven't tested it yet. Long time ago I had a software named Xara running on my Linux computer (Ubuntu Studio). That was pretty good, but it was Open Source and only a vector graphic editor. Don't know if it has to do anything with the Xara you are talking about. I like the Music Maker and the Audio Cleaning Lab from Magix, but I hate their annoying aggressive marketing and this In-App-Sales they offer in some apps.

However, to have all that stuff in only one app would be too complex and confusing, I think. But I would like to switch between them somehow more seamless and quick. Especially of course between Photo and Designer. Permanent switching from Publisher to the other apps could also cause a lot of confusion and flaws you could prevent with a well planned workflow. Printing is too expensive and irreversible to risk causing a mess by desultory muddling and switching around.