RGBLASER

CYMK Color inconsistencies

Hi,

I am trying to design a pice of print work. For this I have to switch to CYMK.

When I add a photo to my design ( which is RGB  based ) the app converts it to  CYMK leaving flat, dull colors.

Yet in the CYMK Dropbox there are various items like US Coated, Japan Coated, Web coated etc.

When my design is seelcted to CMYK it defauls to Generic CMYK. ( Dull colors ) 

Yet when I select any of the other " paper" sorts like Japan or US Coated, the vibrancy of the colors comes back looking like RGB. Hmm...weird...

The weirdness continues. When I now swicth back to Generic CYMK , the vibrant colors stay on the screen.

So...how " accurate"  is this thing  ?

Attached are the views I get from Generic CYMK and Us Sheetfed Coated ( whatever that is ) 

See the differences in that ?

So what am I to do so my design will look nice and vibrant when printed , not  dull and colorless ?

Any advice on this bug is highly appreciated.

Peter

post-4946-0-51323400-1450189110_thumb.png

post-4946-0-58309300-1450189111_thumb.png

This all seems pretty standard. Although it's all in CMYK the various profiles will affect the image's tonal range, some being more vibrant than others as they cover different areas of the gamut.. If you are not locked into a specific profile defined by your printer/printer service, just choose the one that appeals to you the most.

The only thing that seems a bit odd is the colours not changing back when switching to generic CMYK again. Are you using convert or assign when switching colour modes?

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

This all seems pretty standard. Although it's all in CMYK the various profiles will affect the image's tonal range, some being more vibrant than others as they cover different areas of the gamut.. If you are not locked into a specific profile defined by your printer/printer service, just choose the one that appeals to you the most.

The only thing that seems a bit odd is the colours not changing back when switching to generic CMYK again. Are you using convert or assign when switching colour modes?

Hey Chris,

I am using " Convert"  , with " Assign"  there is no visual change.

Using what appeals the most will likely not show me what to expect from the end-result and that's exactly what I want to see.

I want to know what I may expect from the printed version.

So anything that can assist me in that can help me get the best picture ready before sending it to the printers.

Hi RGBLASER,

In order to be able to offer you the best advice, we'd need to see the file - or at least a simplified version so we could see what you're seeing and confirm there is/is not a problem... Having said that, I can offer you this as a first piece of advice: If you're working in RGB and want to know what your printed output may actually be like when you get it back from the print shop, there's a specific feature you should probably be aware of: You can add a Soft Proof adjustment layer to the top of the document and choose the printer's CMYK colour profile from the available options. This will map your final document colours through the printer's colour profile and back into RGB for you to see on the screen. Your document and all its content is still RGB and you can continue to make edits, but everything you do is previewed live as if it had been printed.

We're more than happy to help further if you can provide a sample file for us to work through with you :)

Thanks,

Matt