You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy masks between groups result in linkage

Hi, new to Affinity Designer, I'm working in a graphics template and need to copy a mark and image to another group within same document, however, it seems to be linked to original mark and image and if I change image it updates image in both place in document. How do I unlink the masked image from source mask image so I can change working image?

To give more detail:

After copy mask/image to new group and drag it to target location on view, I go back to naviagtion layer of target object and double click on image, it opens into embedded window, I place new image and remove old and close embedded window and return to document window and see that image updated in both locations.  as below.  I have tried this in Designer and Publisher with same results, so I know it is linked but I can't see how to unlink them so they act independently.

Screenshot 2022-04-11 162902.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-11 162936.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-11 175139.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-11 175227.jpg

12 hours ago, markimark said:

if I change image it updates image in both place in document. How do I unlink the masked image from source mask image so I can change working image?

I am not sure if I understand entirely. – Can't you use the Resource Manager to Replace an image / one specific of several instances of an image source, or, alternatively select the image layer and use the button Replace in the Context Toolbar. Both ways would change the selected item only, not all its instances.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi @markimark,

This does suggest you need to be  using replace in resource manager instead of pasting an image inside your opened embedded document as this will result in the original image also being replaced.

The resource manager can be accessed via View > Resource Manager in Designer. More information on how embedded/linked resources work is available in the help links below.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Media/resourceManager.html

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Media/embeddingVsLinking.html