You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all, I am very new to handling independent shapes and the boolean options.

I am trying to join two shapes, previously separated or subtracted from each other, because I want the bottom part not to join. It's a bit strange, attached as it should be the final result.

image.png.5652b3655d35465eab6cae991585fc93.png

After putting basic shapes together I have arrived at this:

image.png.fe243b540fd1c41017b6fea9658f88c5.png

But now I need the circle to be divided from the bottom curve, something like this:

image.thumb.png.f4518b9be67459e82bc3f03dc70e9048.png

According to the original drawing, I should make the complete curve and cut at the intersection. For example if I apply a gradient I can see the complete direction. I hope I understand and you can help me, thank you very much.

I did not fully got what you intend to do, and how.

Please find an alternative version of the paper drawing below, maybe much simpler to achieve.

1. use pencil to draw curve, from „back“ to top so that top covers back.
  2. use special gradient brush to make 3D effect 
  3. use another curve as clipping path, combined from circle and rectangle, to achieve rounding on right.

Hope this might help.

B3752D08-CF8F-43A0-BA37-FD383110D2C7.png

28A3BB44-85A9-43D9-A748-EB261B2883D2.png

PO.afdesign

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

I did not fully got what you intend to do, and how.

Hi @NotMyFault, you have understood exactly what I want to do.
My problem is the execution, maybe I want to use more exact values with perfect circles and mathematical relations in the size differences of the circles. For example the cut of the final line is another circle.
Your solution is excellent, and you have solved the problem in a creative and immediate way. Sometimes we want to complicate our lives by looking for "golden points" "mathematical relations" etc, in the creation of a logo.Although my question remains, how to use "join nodes" from two different shapes to create a more complex one. I attach the linear construction for you to understand me a little more.

Thank you for your help.

image.thumb.png.e05888c763eef7978f0e3b1bf9140337.png

Thank you, the outline helps me to understand your intentions.

I would choose other shapes to start with, to simplify the process:

• Use start / end angle of donut tool to get the lower bow
  • Create the pieces stepwise, using the full spectrum of add / subtract / intersect. / divide
  • to get the red part divided, i would use „divide“, using a helper circular shape (copy of the black shape moved to the right by the width)

i will edit this post and add the file later

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault thanks again for taking the time to help me find a solution. Now your process is very similar to mine, I like to do this exchange of ideas, because we learn how we have different points of view to get to the same point.

After trying many boolean options, I think I have come up with a possible solution, I would like to share it with you. The initial red part was only for differences between the two shapes.

image.thumb.png.60b1ad782a4bc86859a8dcb8327723c4.png

I have reduced the combination of shapes as simple as possible, I have highlighted the shape that really helped me to find a final solution by combining the start and end gradients between the donut and the highlighted shape, I pass you the possible final solutions.

image.thumb.png.7c2825ab8ccac299ab33ba0d653c8273.png

I don't want it to read as a P, but as an R. If you have any ideas or alternatives, they are welcome.

Thanks again.

If you want it to look more like an R than a P the horizontal tail needs modification. Is the artwork dimension constrained, does it need to fit into a space?

image.png.906e494c4790056e1746cdf88b31f916.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi@firstdefence , thank you very much for your input and it is very interesting your construction. I don't really have to fit the design into restrictive measurements. But the client's brief wanted something that "pointed" like a "direction" or "arrow" and had an R and an O. And out of several proposals that I have passed on to him he has stuck with the original drawing in this thread.

Without going a bit off the topic of the post (I accept all possible ideas and criticisms), I see that you also used different segments and then joined them visually with colour. I think that joining independent nodes in two ways is quite complicated.

2 hours ago, Miltrin said:

Hi@firstdefence , thank you very much for your input and it is very interesting your construction. I don't really have to fit the design into restrictive measurements. But the client's brief wanted something that "pointed" like a "direction" or "arrow" and had an R and an O. And out of several proposals that I have passed on to him he has stuck with the original drawing in this thread.

I agree with @firstdefence about the tail needing modification: at the moment it looks as though you have a P with a pointed tail. For an R with a tail pointing to the right, you need to start with a leg pointing at least slightly downwards as in any capital R. You can still finish off with a pointed horizontal tail if that’s what the client wants.

CFA1860C-5B46-4D7A-B03C-2BA9320FA0CD.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You can still finish off with a pointed horizontal tail if that’s what the client wants.

Hi @Alfred very important and interesting your contribution, those little details give another visibility and concept to the shape. I think if you don't mind I'll take your idea.

Going back to the title post, would you unify the shapes to make the path with colour (gradients as we were seeing) or would you "add both shapes"?
By adding we will lose the path of the "O" that goes underneath, won't we?

Those shapes should  stay separate for gradient / coloring.

you could use gradients, linear for rectangles, conical for circles. Choose the values at the edges wisely.

if you combine all shapes into one, you won’t be able to achieve the gradient.

47 minutes ago, Miltrin said:

Hi @Alfred very important and interesting your contribution, those little details give another visibility and concept to the shape. I think if you don't mind I'll take your idea.

I don’t mind at all! Please feel free to adopt my idea and to adapt it in any way you like.

47 minutes ago, Miltrin said:

Going back to the title post, would you unify the shapes to make the path with colour (gradients as we were seeing) or would you "add both shapes"?
By adding we will lose the path of the "O" that goes underneath, won't we?

As @NotMyFault has confirmed, the shapes should remain separate.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just been having a doodle session lol!

image.png.9b27acb63e1675c74021f0113f9a0112.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions