You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke is a in points and I want pixels : How to change

Very frustrated

I have a page which is using pixel units, but when I want to define a border(stroke) for a shape, it only allows me to select a width of points.

How do I a)  get it to use pixels or b ) what is the ratio of a point to a pixel

I know it is the 'fad' of today to have grey on grey text. buttons and icons for applications, but please can you give us an alternative theme colour selection.  On my 2010 Mac Book I just can not see all the icons etc.  Not everyone has young eyes - something the computer designers forget.

Thanks

• 4 years later...

Sorry for bumping the old thread.

Unchecking the Show lines in points makes it show the border width in millimeters instead which doesn't help much.I understand that all sizes are relative in vector graphics, I just want my Brush width and Stroke width to use the same measurement.

Capture.PNG

UPD: So I noticed that it's just Brush tool that has width written in pixels, so my question is kinda wrong. Would still be nice to be able to set the brush to use the same measurement as everything else.

Edited by Ai You
update

• Staff

Hi Ai You,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
All raster/brush based tools use px as units - this is by design. The other tools use the unit specified for the document with the exception of lines (strokes) and text which can be forced to display in points no matter the unit set for the document (this can be done in Affinity Preferences, User Interface tab/section, on the bottom).

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2015 at 7:11 PM, MEB said:

Go to Affinity Designer ▸ Preferences..., User Interface section and uncheck Show lines in points.

I appreciate the above tip very much because it allows me to show the Stroke in millimeters to match my preference in Illustrator.  However, the big problem is that Affinity Designer shows "0" for very thin Stroke widths, whereas Illustrator shows me exactly what I typed.  

For example, type in a Stroke width ("Weight") of 0.01mm in Illustrator and press Return, you will see 0.01mm in that field.  That is intuitive and what you should get.  Sadly, Affinity Designer shows only "0" in the field which is NOT correct.  Hovering my arrow pointer over the field also shows an "unknown keyword" tooltip sometimes, despite the fact my having typed 0.01mm visually makes the line on the canvas thinner than say 0.1mm.  It would therefore be appreciated if this bug in Designer can be fixed to show the exact value I typed, not some rounded down value that is absolutely wrong.  0 0.01

Thank you.

1 hour ago, JDW said:

Sadly, Affinity Designer shows only "0" in the field which is NOT correct.

In Preferences > User Interface, you can set Decimal Places for Units Types in the millimeter box to anything from 0 to 6.

Note that this sets the display rounding but internally the precision is always the maximum provided by the app, around 8 dp.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In Preferences > User Interface, you can set Decimal Places for Units Types in the millimeter box to anything from 0 to 6.

Perfect!  Thank you!

Perhaps you can help me understand one related thing.  I went to a new document to test what you said but now I get "px" in that Stroke Width field rather than "mm".  Can you tell me how to set it back to "mm"?  Toggling "Show Lines in points" in the Prefs doesn't resolve that issue.

In File > New Document > Presets you have a choice of document units (look on the right, in the section titled "Layout").

You can also change the document units at any time in an existing document using File > Document Setup or if the ruler is showing by right-clicking on the units display at the ruler origin & using the popup menu there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7