You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

Is there an "autofit" function to adjust text - font -size to fit exactly into a series of linked frames? At the moment I have to use a trial and error method of manually altering the font size, and it's very time consuming and doesn't always give me the exact fit I want. (I do not want to adjust the size of the frames)

Ta

Phil

This was a standard feature of Serif PagePlus for as long as I can remember, but it isn’t currently available in the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, HeadStart said:

fit exactly into a series of linked frames?

Aren't linked text frames automatically filled with text before the text flow enters the next frame? If not it may depend on paragraph settings in "Flow Options". (Or did you enter manual breaks to kind of interrupt the flow?)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Aren't linked text frames automatically filled with text before the text flow enters the next frame? If not it may depend on paragraph settings in "Flow Options". (Or did you enter manual breaks to kind of interrupt the flow?)

‘Autofit’ ensures that the last of a series of linked frames — or the only frame if unlinked — is completely filled, regardless of the size(s) of the frame(s) and the inclusion of any frame breaks. This is achieved by automatically adjusting the text size.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

‘Autofit’ ensures that the last of a series of linked frames

Thanks. I never had the chance to experience such a feature, no doubt it can be quite handy. But in a series of linked frames? Does it indeed influence only the last frame? If yes, what would be an use case example? I guess I would rather prefer a different text size (or leading or kerning) across all frames.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Does it indeed influence only the last frame?

No, it affects the text size for the entire ‘story’. I mentioned the last frame because you wouldn’t normally have multiple linked frames which are unfilled, but I suppose you could do (e.g. a set of six linked frames, with the first four completely filled, the fifth one partially filled, and the sixth one completely empty).

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks Alfred. Couldn't have put it better myself. I'm also a refugee from PagePlus and really miss this facility, as with frames not having resize handles all the time. But that's another subject, and I don't want to get chastised by the Moderators...  I would go back to PagePlus but with Serif withdrawing support I don't have anyh choice but to stick with Affinity and make the best of it. Phil

12 minutes ago, HeadStart said:

I would go back to PagePlus but with Serif withdrawing support I don't have any choice but to stick with Affinity and make the best of it.

PagePlus will continue to work as long as your operating system supports it (and users who have switched to Windows 11 don’t seem to have encountered any major problems) but the legacy support site CommunityPlus is due to close in less than three months’ time.

really miss … frames not having resize handles all the time

As far as I’m aware, frames should always have resize handles as long as they aren’t locked.

Alfred spacer.png

43 minutes ago, Alfred said:

PagePlus will continue to work as long as your operating system supports it (and users who have switched to Windows 11 don’t seem to have encountered any major problems) but the legacy support site CommunityPlus is due to close in less than three months’ time.

As far as I’m aware, frames should always have resize handles as long as they aren’t locked.

Oh. Mine don't. I'll investigate and find out about locking. Thanks.