You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to JPG error in Affinity Designer

I have an art made on all in vector/curves, no raster image involved. I try to export and it won't let me.  It's a large file but I'm on a Mac Mini M1 on a 1T Drive working on a 6' by 3' banner art. Being doing that for the same client before. The only difference is the OS now, I'm in Monterey OS. Any advice or settings suggestions will be appreciated.

CleanShot 2022-04-08 at 18.16.34.png

CleanShot 2022-04-08 at 18.08.30.png

CleanShot 2022-04-08 at 17.46.46.png

CleanShot 2022-04-08 at 18.19.03.png

Edited by albertkinng
another pic

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

What output resolution did you choose? For a 6 ft by 3 ft banner, anything more than 150 DPI (i.e. 10800 px by 5400 px) is overkill.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Metadata could not be embedded?  - Interesting error message!

A Win user had similar issues ...

... you can try out what happens when you disable the embedding of metadata, aka in the Export dialog click 'More' and untick 'Embed Metadata' and  afterwards see, if it then exports correctly to your Mac desktop.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi @albertkinng,

Sorry to see you're having trouble! Please do let us know if disabling the embedding of metadata on export resolves this issue, and if so we can request a copy of your file, so that I can log this with our developers.

Many thanks :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

4 hours ago, albertkinng said:

Here is the file: https://d.pr/f/HFCPy6

Is there any particular reason you did not attach the file itself to your reply? It is generally better to do that so we can download it without having to blindly open a new web page that could take us to anything, including some sites that contain so-called 'drive by' malware.

To be clear, I am not accusing you of doing anything nefarious, just pointing out why some may not want to click on that kind of link.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Excuse me? Droplr is a business as good as dropbox. I’ve been using their paid service for many years. I use a shareable link because is easier for me and part of my everyday routine tasks. If I don’t attach the file is because I’m using the phone and it’s easier that way. Visit droplr.com and see for yourself what it is and their reputation.

7 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

Droplr is a business as good as dropbox.

Be that as it may, it is not obvious from the URL you posted what it is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, albertkinng said:

Droplr is a business as good as dropbox.

And how are we to know what it is from a domain name like d.pr? If you had used a droplr.com URL that might have helped.

In any case, attaching the file directly here if it's of a size that the forum allows is much easier for us and probably for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, albertkinng said:

If I don’t attach the file is because I’m using the phone and it’s easier that way.

I don't usually use my iPhone to access this site but when I do & want to attach a file to a post after tapping in the "Reply to the topic ... box to bring up the reply editor, I see an "Add Files" button I can tap to attach files to my post, & also an "Other Media" button which allows files from URL's to be attached.

I'm not sure if either of those would work for you but maybe consider it for future use?

Affinity Photo 

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And how are we to know what it is from a domain name like d.pr? If you had used a droplr.com URL that might have helped.

In any case, attaching the file directly here if it's of a size that the forum allows is much easier for us and probably for you.

This issue is very interesting. Either you (this forum community) just want to impose using the ‘attach’ options or never use services like dropbox or wetransfer to send files to a client before. I will show this to the devs behind droplr and see what they say about this. I mean, I know I can use my url instead as part of their features but this is the first time someone demand it. 

When I get back to office I promise I will send you the file using the ‘add files’ option. No worries. Also, I will like to add that d.pr is actually Droplr official sharing domain. You can tell by reading it. Same as bit.ly but anyways I don’t think this need to become a topic of discussion. Bottom line I send a file as asked and it wasn’t accepted for preferences reasons. 

have a good one, guys.

1 minute ago, albertkinng said:

or never use services like dropbox or wetransfer to send files to a client before. I will show this to the devs behind droplr and see what they say about this. I mean, I know I can use my url instead as part of their features but this is the first time someone demand it. 

I use Dropbox and Wetransfer quite often, and recognize URLs with those domains in them. But what the heck is d.pr? My first thought with that is "what country is pr, and do I want to be visiting a website there that I've never heard of?"

If you had used a droplr.com URL I would have had a chance to understand where the link might take me. Using d.pr/something it's just some weird shortening or a URL that is meaningless. That is my main concern. Also, if I do decide to click on it, it requires Javascript. So now, to click on your link, I'm (a) clicking on a link to an unknown site that (b) wants me to enable Javascript, which is a potential security exposure. No thank you.

But it's really your choice how you want to provide the info.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

25 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

Either you (this forum community) just want to impose using the ‘attach’ options or never use services like dropbox or wetransfer to send files to a client before.

Nobody is trying to impose anything on anybody. It is just that (a) many of us want to know what kind of web page a URL will open before clicking on it & (b) it is much quicker for us to download a file that is attached to a post than to have to open another web page to do that.

Affinity Photo 

47 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

Same as bit.ly but anyways I don’t think this need to become a topic of discussion.

I don’t generally click on bit.ly links, either! If I see a link like

https://bit.ly/3uTw3UC

my preferred approach is to copy the link and append a ‘+’ sign to give me a URL such as

https://bit.ly/3uTw3UC+

which is a page on the Bitly site that tells me about the ultimate destination.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Is this really happening? I literally said this doesn’t have to become a topic of discussion. Can we just go to the part that is important here and wait for the file that needs to be analyzed? I get it. You don’t want links, you need a file attached. Cool, I can be a teammate and do that for you. Is not a problem. SMH, I understand perfectly.

The Serif staff will probably be happy with the d.pr link that you provided, @albertkinng. Unless they say otherwise, you probably don't need to do anything more at this point.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Many thanks for your file provided @albertkinng & my apologies for the delay.

I'm glad to hear this workaround has resolved the issue for you, and I'm logging this file with our team for further investigation now, to hopefully stop this from occurring in the future.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

15 hours ago, albertkinng said:

Is this really happening? I literally said this doesn’t have to become a topic of discussion.

Welcome to the forums. I have only seen one forum which was worse for getting derailed. (

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, albertkinng said:

Is this really happening? I literally said this doesn’t have to become a topic of discussion.

It became a topic of discussion because some of us felt that it was worth explaining why some of us would be hesitant to click on that kind of external link, thus making it less likely that we would be interested in downloading the file & analysing it ourselves.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

Thank you. I appreciate your honesty.

It was just offered as something to consider if in the future you ask the community for help with some other issue & are asked to include a file demonstrating it. Attaching the file directly to your post maximizes the chances of one or more community members downloading it & replying quickly with what hopefully will be useful in resolving the issue.

Affinity Photo 

Honestly, sooo much unnecessary blabla about something, that should actually be clear here in general from the point of view of handling. - So if someone doesn't trust or want to follow such a short-link like the one provided by the OP, then just don't use/follow and click on it. - Other than that there are also a buch of website URL-check service, which do check if a website is malicious/scam or safe/legit, like for example ...

... and so can tell you whether a URL link is kosher or not!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2