You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add additional points to existing curve layer with pen tool (Affinity Photo)

5 minutes ago, Echolight said:

I'm trying to add an additional point with the pen tool to a curve layer, but when I try to do so it tries to make a separate curve on top of it. Am I missing something?

While using the Pen tool you can add a point to an existing Curve by holding down the Command Key and clicking on the curve. That is for Mac it may be the Control key on Windows.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

33 minutes ago, Echolight said:

I'm trying to add an additional point with the pen tool to a curve layer,

Use the Node tool. Note that <ctrl>Pen which used to temporarily switch to the Node tool will delete the element not add a Node

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

4 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Use the Node tool. Note that <ctrl>Pen which used to temporarily switch to the Node tool will delete the element not add a Node

That deletes part of the curve, that's not what I'm trying to do. I just want to be able to add an additional point to the curve layer without having to remake the entire layer from the beginning.

Edited by Echolight

If you press Ctrl (temporarily switches to the Node Tool) and notice the options at the bottom of the window one is "Drag + Shift to add nodes to selection"  But this doesn't work as per this conversation:

The only way to add a node to a curve is to switch to the Node Tool (you can use the shortcut) and click where you want the new node.

1 minute ago, Lem3 said:

If you press Ctrl (temporarily switches to the Node Tool) and notice the options at the bottom of the window one is "Drag + Shift to add nodes to selection"  But this doesn't work as per this conversation:

The only way to add a node to a curve is to switch to the Node Tool (you can use the shortcut) and click where you want the new node.

That's frustrating, but I got it to work thank you. Hopefully that'll be changed really soon, it feels awful.

Hi @Echolight,

Use the Node tool And make a double click on the position you want the new node.

Photo_sN13ze6QmZ.thumb.gif.fb159df66368b6744b27d7b769379ca2.gif

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

3 minutes ago, Echolight said:

That deletes part of the curve, that's not what I'm trying to do.

According to your screenshot, you are not using the AP Node Tool. As suggested by @David in Яuislip, you need to switch to that tool on the Tools panel rather than using the CTRL shortcut. 

To do that you need to either click & hold on the Pen Tool icon or click on the small triangle at the bottom right of the tool icon until the choice to use the Pen or Node tool appears & then select the Node Tool there. Alternately, you can use View > Customize Tools... (not Customize Toolbar) to drag out a separate Node Tool icon  (the one without the triangle).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Use the Node tool And make a double click on the position you want the new node.

Do you really need to double-click or will a single click work for that, like it does on the Mac version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Do you really need to double-click or will a single click work for that, like it does on the Mac version?

Mmmmmh, a single click is indeed enough.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

8 minutes ago, Echolight said:

I did figure it out. I just think it's an unnecessary way to do it. I should just be able to click on the existing line that's there to add a point, not add a new one on-top.

For me, sometimes I want a new point to be placed on the existing line. How would I be able to that if clicking on a line with the Pen tool adds a point to the line instead of giving me a new, unattached, point?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

For me, sometimes I want a new point to be placed on the existing line. How would I be able to that if clicking on a line with the Pen tool adds a point to the line instead of giving me a new, unattached, point?

I personally think clicking on the line should add a point to the existing layer, and ctrl-clicking should add one on a new layer.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Also, if I am working with an open curve I sometimes what to add a new node to it that is snapped to some point on the curve, like this:

1214635377_addnode.jpg.d2837c496d751c45a5fb7f242e02b260.jpg

Affinity Photo 

14 minutes ago, Echolight said:

I personally think clicking on the line should add a point to the existing layer, and ctrl-clicking should add one on a new layer.

How would I draw this, note that #3 has to be on the line.

1209440683_ScreenShot2022-04-07at10_31_44AM.png.6f0693529a5f0063fe086aff4f930dd9.png

Following your rules I would wind up with something like this. It is not what I want.

2056629066_ScreenShot2022-04-07at10_36_10AM.png.82efcd7474968e6b0cacde0518a6119f.png

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

How would I draw this, note that #3 has to be on the line.

1209440683_ScreenShot2022-04-07at10_31_44AM.png.6f0693529a5f0063fe086aff4f930dd9.png

Following your rules I would wind up with something like this. It is not what I want.

2056629066_ScreenShot2022-04-07at10_36_10AM.png.82efcd7474968e6b0cacde0518a6119f.png

Maybe have what you're describing as default, and the other options as alt click and ctrl click? Having to swap tools to add an additional point on the same layer feels like an unnecessary step.

9 minutes ago, Echolight said:

Having to swap tools to add an additional point on the same layer feels like an unnecessary step.

Maybe I'm not getting it. 
You never have to leave the Pen tool to do all of the above. It's just a modifier key. Or is that the problem?

11 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

You never have to leave the Pen tool to do all of the above. It's just a modifier key. Or is that the problem?

Then how do I add another point on a curve layer that's already closed without having to click on the node tool itself? If I hold ctrl from the pen tool to use the node tool shortcut it just wants to delete part of the curve.

27 minutes ago, Echolight said:

Maybe have what you're describing as default, and the other options as alt click and ctrl click? Having to swap tools to add an additional point on the same layer feels like an unnecessary step.

Alt (Option in the Mac version) click is already used by the Pen tool, either to force an existing node to a sharp point or to ignore snapping when adding a new one.

The conflict with using the shortcut to temporarily switch to the Node Tool doesn't exist for the Mac version because Macs have both CTRL & CMD keys, so holding down both of them both temporarily switches to the Node Tool & its mode to deleting the segment. As I understand it, the conflict occurs in Windows because CTRL clicking now deletes segments & there is no other modifier key available to temporarily switch to the Node Tool, so that has to be done on the Tools panel.

17 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

I think the problem is there are not enough modifier keys available in the Windows versions.

Confirmed by what @Echolight just posted.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Alt (Option in the Mac version) click is already used by the Pen tool, either to force an existing node to a sharp point or to ignore snapping when adding a new one.

The conflict with using the shortcut to temporarily switch to the Node Tool doesn't exist for the Mac version because Macs have both CTRL & CMD keys, so holding down both of them both temporarily switches to the Node Tool & its mode to deleting the segment. As I understand it, the conflict occurs in Windows because CTRL clicking now deletes segments & there is no other modifier key available to temporarily switch to the Node Tool, so that has to be done on the Tools panel.

I think the problem is there are not enough modifier keys available in the Windows versions.

I just want to be able to add another node to an already closed one without swapping tools or creating a new curve layer is my whole issue.

6 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Right, so no key does this on PC??
CMD..... never leaving Pen tool.

In Windows (as I understand it) using CTRL with the Pen Tool is the equivalent of using both CTRL & CMD on a Mac to both temporarily switch to the Node Tool and click to delete a segment. So on Windows it is not possible to add a node without switching to the Node Tool in the Tools panel.

That's what @Komatös was demonstrating here

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Right, so no key does this on PC??
CMD..... never leaving Pen tool.

PCs do not have a Cmd key.

They have a Ctrl key, and pressing Ctrl with the Pen Tool selected switches you to the Node Tool temporarily. But Ctrl+Click with the Node Tool is "delete segment".

Edit: The closest we have on PC is A to switch to Node Tool, click to add the node, then P to switch back to the Pen Tool. (Though that might be simplified a bit by adjusting keyboard shortcuts; I haven't tried it.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1