You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have several object that I have tried to release the compound paths. In this case I want the inner hole release from the ouster path. However the command to do so is always greyed out. And the create compounds does nothing, but hide the inner object.

Release-compound-path.afdesign

Macbook Pro 13 (Mid 2010) - Web Designer

• 2 months later...

Hi, MEB, 

I'm also trying out the Release Compound command and don't understand why it ONLY works on objects that have been Divided using Layer > Geometry > Divide. I am testing by superimposing one shape over another and using geometry commands such as Add, Subtract, Intersect, etc. I would expect to be able to edit the resulting parts separately, not as a single unit with parts hidden. What's up? Please clarify.

file:///Users/dl/Desktop/Compounds.afdesign

Hi, MEB, 

I'm also trying out the Release Compound command and don't understand why it ONLY works on objects that have been Divided using Layer > Geometry > Divide. I am testing by superimposing one shape over another and using geometry commands such as Add, Subtract, Intersect, etc. I would expect to be able to edit the resulting parts separately, not as a single unit with parts hidden. What's up? Please clarify.

file:///Users/dl/Desktop/Compounds.afdesign

Compounds.afdesign

Your first step is to attach your file so that other's can see it.  You have to either select the More Reply Options at the bottom right of your response, or the Reply to this Topic button at the top right of the thread.  You link to your local machine won't work.  And if it did, I would really be concerned.

After that an answer to questions might be possible. But I suspect a demonstration would say a lot more. Maybe a short clip showing the steps you took, would be very helpful. 

Hi cadobir,

Release Compound is the inverse operation of Create Compound, and that means you can only release compound shapes. They appear in the layers list like seen below. You must conceptually keep apart the results of destructive Boolean operations (the objects in your document) and compound shapes (the non-destructive counterparts of these operational results, so to say).

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-45826600-1456094615_thumb.png

I was looking at your files. Thank you.  I am no expert.  And I can be a little dense sometimes, so please bear with me.

What I am seeing in your first drawing is the object being treated as a single object.  Unlike your example of boolean operators, which has two distinct and separate objects.  

If I follow, the only way I could do anything with the booleans for the single object you started with was to make it into separate objects.  Hence the divide operator. To make your object into separate distinct objects, that then can be manipulated with the other boolean operators.

If that makes sense.  Hopefully I didn't confuse the issue.  For all boolean operators, except divide, there must be more than one object. If I am understanding the concept correctly.

The divide boolean just attempts to separate what it believes are valid and separate shapes.  

So single object, only boolean divide.

Multiple objects, all the others come into play.

I tried.

To add slightly to what A_B_C said (which might be obvious but just in case it is not) to create compound objects you use the same Boolean operators, except that you hold down the alt/option key when you make them. That works for everything except Divide.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I like the divide boolean the best, because it gives you all your separate objects, and you can select, delete, or do whatever you want afterwards.  I find that for me, it is the most flexible way to go. 

But that's just me.  Just experimenting.

There is a great tutorial on making a 3-D looking hole using divide in one of the earlier tutorials I highly recommend.