You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font's strokes are out of order

I'm having a weird strokes for some of my fonts, like Petrona. If I select stroke order: Draw Stroke Behind it looks ok but when I expand that stroke it is still this weird stroke that doesn't seem to be on its place. Is this an issue with fonts how they are handled by the AD or simply the error of the font maker?

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 9.38.30.png

I see that the Google Fonts static versions of the Bitter and Petrona fonts are TTF. Is the CUFON version of Petrona also TTF? I have several weights of the Bitter typeface from somewhere else (I’m not sure where) and they’re all OTF.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, Konspaul said:

I'm having a weird strokes for some of my fonts, like Petrona. If I select stroke order: Draw Stroke Behind it looks ok but when I expand that stroke it is still this weird stroke that doesn't seem to be on its place. Is this an issue with fonts how they are handled by the AD or simply the error of the font maker?

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 9.38.30.png

Are you using 10.xx version of MacOS?

Those are the overlaps used in variable masters (the source files) and required in the variable fonts for them to interpolate properly.

When static fonts are created from a variable source, the overlaps may or may not be removed (it is not required). So some static fonts may still have overlaps.

MacOS 10.xx does not handle the overlaps correctly. So the GF position is Apple needs to fix it (which they did in 11+).

I am assuming you got the single static font from Cufon which is v1.001 and has no overlaps.

Note: AFAIK .otf vs. .ttf does not matter in the case. But I do know for sure - it may be possible that MacOS can properly figure-out the PS curves. Dunno. We can test .otf PS fonts if you want.

If you are not using MacOS, please provide more info.

2 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

AFAIK .otf vs. .ttf does not matter in the case.

I thought it wouldn’t/shouldn’t, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway!

4 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

MacOS 10.xx does not handle the overlaps correctly. So the GF position is Apple needs to fix it (which they did in 11+).

I downloaded the Petrona fonts from Google Fonts and installed one of them on my iPad. It seems that iPadOS 14.8 also fails to handle the overlaps correctly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I downloaded the Petrona fonts from Google Fonts and installed one of them on my iPad. It seems that iPadOS 14.8 also fails to handle the overlaps correctly

I am wondering if this is an Affinity issue.

If I make some (4) test fonts could you please test?

TT WO - TrueType With Overlaps

TT NO - TrueType No Overlaps

PS WO - PostScript With Overlaps

PS NO - PostScript No Overlaps

Then if you and @Konspaulcan test we will know. I can test on Win 10.

The Cufon fonts (v2.001) appear to be the same as the static fonts in the source repository.
And they have all the overlaps removed.
So that is why the outlines look correct.

Side note: the repo also has static .otf fonts (without overlaps).

The fonts from Google Fonts (also v2.001, but created ~2 hours later) still have the overlaps.
It appears that GF cleaned-up some empty glyphs and other stuff, and regenerated the fonts.
Because the glyph count and character count are different than the fonts above.
So the repo/Cufon fonts may have had some bugs fixed in the GF fonts.
But the GF fonts have overlaps.

I would still like to know if the OP is using MacOS 10.xx.
The issue could be MacOS, or it could be Affinity.

@Hens are you using MacOS 10.xx? Or?
The issue could be MacOS, or it could be Xara causing your overlap issues.

Hmmmm ... This could be an Affinity issue - because I can see the overlaps and looped corners after converting the GF fonts Bold font to curves (in ADesigner on Win 10).
Need some people who know the applications better to test.
(I can make the fonts to test.)