You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

printer prints white background although Motiv is set to transparency

33 minutes ago, Simzj said:

why the clipping path doesn't work in affinity is a mystery to me

Adobe uses PostScript to drive the printer. It's a full programming language, it takes your clip path and processes it within the commands sent to the printer. Affinity does not have PostScript support.

Having looked at the manual for your printer, it seems Adobe or a standalone RIP are you only options.

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Could you also upload a scrennshot/s of your Print dialgoue settings?

The OP prints from the macOS Preview.app – which doesn't offer any relevant setting here. Instead Affinity seems to lack in creating a "real" clipping path which gets recognized by Preview.app:  (Here's this sample file for download.)

1314121265_clippingpathPreview_app.thumb.jpg.396b6b12b9c839a25bee85c4f4fa792a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, Simzj said:

the funny thing is that it works with Photoshop and clipping path and Macsetup.

1 hour ago, Simzj said:

I don't know that with a tcp/ip printer, where can I find something like that?

Since it does work for you with this printer + Preview  but just does not with Affinity files it seems to be caused by Affinity + Preview.app. Thus a different printer driver possibly might not enable you to avoid this issue.

However, if you want to check all options in an original OKI printer driver you can setup a printer via macOS System Preferences … Note that "Standard" doesn't give the option to choose a custom driver whereas "IP" does:

58152986_printersetupTCP-IPKopie.thumb.jpg.7cd631670e9a4da841f31e97e9e520f8.jpg

Would a Layer Mask not work in place of a Clipping Path in this instance?

83126267_LayerMask.jpg.3984a40ffa38b970c4c5629fd124c8b9.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

I have to put in my 2 ¢ here.

I honestly believe that this is a problem with the Operating System and Printer Drivers for a Printer that uses White ink/toner for clear areas in the artwork.

In other words, Serif would have to do some massive rewriting of their printing system to accommodate the Oki printer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

In other words, Serif would have to do some massive rewriting of their printing system to accommodate the Oki printer.

25 minutes ago, BofG said:

I'll try again in case anyone pays any attention, the white toner Oki printers ONLY have PostScript drivers. The PostScript is needed to handle the advanced white options. Affinity does not do PostScript.

In this thread the issue does not occur when printing from Affinity. It is rather the way Affinity creates / does not create a "true" clipping path. As the 😽 example above illustrates it is not even related to print but appears the clipping mask doesn't get recognized / displayed on screen in the Preview.app.
( @Hangmann, in this file the clipping path IS a Layer Mask)

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

In this thread the issue does not occur when printing from Affinity

? The OP states they cannot print from Affinity or preview, the only correct output is from Photoshop with a clipping path.

I have RTFM on these printers (was looking to buy one a while ago), you need PostScript support.

11 minutes ago, BofG said:

I have RTFM on these printers (was looking to buy one a while ago), you need PostScript support.

I had noticed your hints about your printer / driver research + Affinity postscript.

But isn't the question rather what Affinity does to a masking clipping path to prevent it from fully working? I assume Affinity in fact IS generally able to output Postscript, e.g. in exports as PDF or EPS, correct? If not, why does it export EPS at all which literally says "encapsulated POSTSCRIPT"?

I mean, the cat example (created, exported, reopened in Affinity) illustrates the lack of path interpretation in Preview … caused by the way Affinity writes the path into the file / Preview reads the path from the file.