You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Marquee tools don't cut out selections, what have i missed?

Say i've got a screenshot of something and i want to cut an element out of that screenshot. Normally i'd select the object, select the rectangular marquee tool, drag round what i want to cut out and then do CMD + X to cut out the selection.

But, doing this now, it just deletes the entire object.

What on earth am i doing wrong? Anyone?

Cheers! :)

I would also like to know the answer as I lost an hour or two yesterday pulling my hair out looking to see if I have missed something really obvious! It could well be something that is on the road map but if anyone could ease the hair tarring I would be so grateful! Absolutely loving Affinity thus far. It is the first time I have dropped illustrator and Photoshop for more than 3 days without having to revert back at some point. At last an app that shows serious promise guys !!!!!

The behavior of "lasso - delete" is consistent with your stated expectations - as long as you have selected a raster or "pixel" layer.

If you've drawn vector or "curve" layers and want to make a selection with your lasso to create a shape by deleting you'll want to first layer/rasterize that "curve" (or multiple curves, depending upon your image). 

I may be wrong, as i've only used the app for 5 minutes, so i'd happily be disabused by a "veteran."

-d

• Staff

The confusion comes about because a placed image is not pixel-editable - it retains the original source file (so if you convert colour profile, to say CMYK, it can reload the image and avoid as much conversion loss as possible).

To use the pixel tools, you must first rasterise the image layer - using Edit -> Rasterise.

Thanks,

AndyS