You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.webp support in Affinity Suite

5 hours ago, Toomaj said:

Hi, well, that’s true, nomacs exists too, but it doesn’t seem to be maintained anymore. I usually use ImageMagick or XnConvert instead. I also found Krita an absolutely powerful tool to do almost anything with a photo and it generates WebP.

It's good to hear that you have been able to find some intermediate converting softwares that can help. 🙂

27 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

It's good to hear that you have been able to find some intermediate converting softwares that can help. 🙂

No offense, but I assume you are missing the point here, this conversation is not about finding an alternative solution, this topic is about native support of WebP in Affinity which at the moment is not available. Please refer to the previous posts on the same conversation. If you are trying to say it's no deal if Affinity is not up to date in terms of working with next-gen image files, not sure how to react to that.

Edited by Toomaj

22 minutes ago, Toomaj said:

No offense, but I assume you are missing the point here, this conversation is not about finding an alternative solution, this topic is about native support of WebP in Affinity which at the moment is not available. Please refer to the previous posts on the same conversation. If you are trying to say it's no deal if Affinity is not up to date in terms of working with next-gen image files, not sure how to react to that.

I agree, but until such time that Serif Europe addresses this matter, it is useful to share knowledge of other software that can help out in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

No clue why there's any argument over asking Affinity to provide native export for webp? 

If you don't care for it, don't use it? Totally on board with the Google hate - but... it's definitely the best format for my needs? 

In the meantime, the free version of PhotoScape X is the best tool I've found: 

http://x.photoscape.org

You can set the compression level, see the results of the compression level as you adjust - which, if you're exporting for the web, is pretty sweet. 

On 6/13/2022 at 7:19 AM, CrashX said:

No clue why there's any argument over asking Affinity to provide native export for webp?

The answer is simple, for the same reason Affinity supports any other image format, it's useful to have converting tools, but it doesn't change the fact that lack of next-gen including WebP support in 2022 is unacceptable for an advanced image manipulation software at the level of Affinity. I'm pretty much sure Affinity team will fully support WebP at some point.

I am also shocked that it's been almost 2 years since that reply saying WebP support was going to be implemented. I didn't cared much until a couple days ago where a client only wants their stuff delivered as WebP. I never liked using Photoshop but sadly right now it's the only app that has great tools+WebP export (as of recently tho).

Hope it doesn't take years for Serif to add it.

16 hours ago, Torinux said:

a client only wants their stuff delivered as WebP

That client is hopefully not going to rely on using WebP exclusively for a website. Sure all major browsers' most recent releases support WebP. There are  most likely a bunch of people in the not yet updated categories.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

44 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

That client is hopefully not going to rely on using WebP exclusively for a website. Sure all major browsers' most recent releases support WebP. There are  most likely a bunch of people in the not yet updated categories.

https://caniuse.com/webp

I think - when the Boomers locked us all down forever to save themselves from COVID - everyone had a little free time to update their browsers? ;) 

But - if you're one of the smartest, kindest, most caring and loving people ever in the entire world? Please lock up the children and make certain you NEVER venture out - with webp or any other image format - without FIRST protecting your users with: 

https://caniuse.com/masks

And PLEASE remember -

While the children might only come down with a slight case of the sniffles, we ask that you continue caging and torturing them forever - to protect grandpa from the virus that her generation accidentally unleashed on the world :(

NO! He can't just quarantine herself! That would mean giving up her ever encompassing power over all of us forever more! DUH! 

Remember - Google is your

Spoiler

friend enemy! ;)

spacer.png

Edited by CrashX

• Staff

@CrashX

As you are new here you may not know that we do not allow or encourage this sort of posting. Specifically many many people are sensitive about this subject and almost nobody has not been personally touched by the events of the last 2 years, however the Serif Affinity forums are not the place to discuss any of that. Your post has been flagged by a number of users as inappropriate and I agree.

I have left it rather than moderated it as I appreciate you are being light-hearted about the word "masks", which are relevant to the thread, but in my opinion is in poor taste. Do not post this type of content in the future, and stick to posting about the use of Serif Affinity software. 

To other readers, please do not respond to anything other than the CanIUse bits, or I will have to hide all the posts including the one above.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2022 at 4:19 AM, RosomakPL said:

Can we get back to the topic of discussion?
Google is pushing the use of webp and whether we like it or not we will need to save files in this format more and more.
I don't buy such powerful software to have to switch to other, competing solutions.

We already got a promise a few years ago that this would be added to Affinity:

Dear devs, what is going on?

This is what it comes down to. I despise Google. They've reduced us all to a brothel of whores competing to give a robot the best blow job. But it is what it is. As much as I despise Google, they're the ones writing the rules nowadays.

On 6/16/2022 at 12:55 PM, Old Bruce said:

That can easily be coded around. Just query the browser for .webp support and present .jpg's if .webp isn't supported.

Edited by GeekOnTheHill

14 hours ago, CrashX said:

Image Optimizer was kind enough to add webp support. Just drag and drop:  

https://github.com/antonreshetov/image-optimizer

But that's an open source project on GitHub. Affinity can't possibly compete with that kinda $$$. 

It is a little baffling. A deficiency in an application (as defined by the user's needs) compels the user to look for alternatives. What if the user decides they like the alternative better? Or less-drastically, what if they decide that they don't love the alternative, but can make it work for them?

I came to Affinity Photo from Fireworks, which I never used for its primary purpose, but solely as a Web image editor / optimizer. When it became clear that Adobe was going to let it die a slow death, I looked for alternatives.

I tried Affinity Photo a few times and didn't care for it because it added clicks to my workflow. But over the course of a few years, changes were made in AP that were exceedingly minor (for example, moving something to a different submenu) that subtracted a few clicks. It still added clicks compared to Fireworks; but inasmuch as Fireworks was a dead man walking, I decided I could deal and budget for the remaining increase in clicks.

Now I need .webp support. I use a variety of applications (mainly GIMP and XnConvert) to get it, based on the specific task at hand. I can do the whole process with GIMP if I wanted to, but it adds clicks. So usually I do most of it in AP and then use XnConvert to batch-export the thumbnails to .webp. I still present both .jpg and .webp based on browser support; so usually I do all the .jpg stuff in AP and then additionally convert the thumbnails to .webp, so both .jpg and .webp are available.

But consider this: GIMP is FOSS; so if I wanted to, I could script the process to reduce the clicks, and do it all in GIMP. It's perfectly capable of doing it all. It would be a bother to write the script; but in the end, it would cost me even fewer clicks than Fireworks did, and many fewer clicks than using AP and XnConvert. Or I could change the UI to make it more suitable for my workflow, which I don't think is all that atypical.

Moreover, if I were to write such a script or make such UI modifications to GIMP to suit my workflow, I'd be required to share my solution with the world to comply with GPLv3, thus potentially solving the same problem for countless other users.

So I really don't get the foot-dragging on Serif's part. It's never good business to give your customers a reason to look elsewhere. They may like what they find. And when what they find happens to be free, they may like it even more.

Maybe I should write a .webp plugin for AP and sell it for a dollar or two. It kind of rubs me the wrong way because I think something so basic as an export format should really come from the publisher. But it is an option.

Edited by GeekOnTheHill

11 minutes ago, GeekOnTheHill said:

Maybe I should write a .webp plugin for AP and sell it for a dollar or two. It kind of rubs me the wrong way because I think something so basic as an export format should really come from the publisher. But it is an option.

If you could keep it to a dollar? Then I could mebbe hit it up on Black Friday? 

Welcome to da Club! Affinity say... I ain't changed?

53 minutes ago, GeekOnTheHill said:

That can easily be coded around. Just query the browser for .webp support and present .jpg's if .webp isn't supported.

If you have WordPress, you can use JPG and use a plugin that automagically serves up webp if the browser supports it. Like Powered Cache and some of the other cache do it. There may be non-cache plugins that do it. I don't know if any of them do it for free, but I guess JetPack *cringe* does it for free. 

7 minutes ago, CrashX said:

If you could keep it to a dollar? Then I could mebbe hit it up on Black Friday? 

Welcome to da Club! Affinity say... I ain't changed?

I actually hate publishing plugins for commercial software because there's an expectation of support; and if you don't have the source, you don't have any way of knowing how future updates to the base application will do to your plugin. I'd be more likely to write something for a FOSS program.

6 minutes ago, MackSix said:

If you have WordPress, you can use JPG and use a plugin that automagically serves up webp if the browser supports it. Like Powered Cache and some of the other cache do it. There may be non-cache plugins that do it. I don't know if any of them do it for free, but I guess JetPack *cringe* does it for free. 

I don't use WP, but it's easy to do in PHP.

Unfortunately, I get a 403 when I try to use this site's code box; so I can't post my three lines of code here. I doubt I can post a link either.

2 minutes ago, GeekOnTheHill said:

I actually hate publishing plugins for commercial software because there's an expectation of support; and if you don't have the source, you don't have any way of knowing how future updates to the base application will do to your plugin. I'd be more likely to write something for a FOSS program.

Fine - bump it to three dolla? 

But then I run all out o' Mo. 

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, andydog said:

WEBP isn't in their list of supported export formats. Have you 'photoshopped' this!?

This is the full list

webp.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.