You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to zoom in on a selection as if using a magnifying glass over the selected object? Leaving the background at its native resolution, that is.

I created a donut shape, selected it, inverted the selection and used a live filter to blur the background, as shown. But I'm curious whether it's possible to zoom in on just the area inside the donut - and how I would deal with the donut if such a method exists?

Maybe isolating the subject, saving it, then placing the image on the blurred background?

IMG_20220401_200354_ap.jpg

1 hour ago, pmcabinet said:

Is there a way to zoom in on a selection as if using a magnifying glass over the selected object? Leaving the background at its native resolution, that is.

No.

I created a donut shape, selected it, inverted the selection and used a live filter to blur the background, as shown. But I'm curious whether it's possible to zoom in on just the area inside the donut - and how I would deal with the donut if such a method exists?

AFAIK such a direct method doesn't exist. You would have to use an external third party magnifier tool instead, which you then place on top the area you want to show up magnifed. - Or you would create a circle selection copy of the wanted area, then magnify/enlarge that area copy and then place it on top of your image in a layer.

Maybe isolating the subject, saving it, then placing the image on the blurred background?

Yes, basically you would copy/extract the wanted image area (aka making a circle selection and taking a copy of just that area), then seperately enlarge/magnify/zoom that copied image area and finally place that enlarged image area portion back on top of your initial image where you want it to be.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1) Position an un-blurred copy of the motor as a child of the circle. (don't think you need a donut here)
2) Enlarge. To enlarge the image from a specific spot (in this case I'm assuming the circle center), enable and move the transform origin to where you want it and hold CMD when resizing.
(I also have a pretty cool INTERACTIVE version of this effect if interested.... like moving a loupe over the image in real time. But that's a different post I guess)

This should do what you want:
1700643161_ScreenShot2022-04-01at11_44_16PM.png.6c61ffcea7a5d33bb7a8a5d265652299.png

On 4/2/2022 at 12:51 PM, pmcabinet said:

PS: JimmyJack, where can I see this 'pretty cool interactive version'?!

How about right here 😃.

Couple of notes:
• Requires filter(s) in Photo. It's not using actual zoom. It's using either a Spherical or Punch filter, and therefore is limited to their 100% values.
• To set a custom center point for the chosen effect click on canvas when it's panel is active.
• The three elements need to be selected as separate entities and moved together. Grouping them destroys the different "lock children" attributes needed.
• I'm not sure how useful it is. It's not really a tool per se. And Affinity doesn't do animation, so... there are faster ways to get to the same end result, without limitations, for a static output (see my post above). Although, the slight curve of the filters sells the effect nicely 🤔.
• So it's really just kinda more of a fun trick. That being said.... have a play.

live loupe AP.afphoto

The perspective live filter can be used as magnifying glass.

unlimited zoom level.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.