You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

lines and dots halftone makers

bananayoshimoto

This is not much, it’s a simple .afdesign file that turns photos into pre-digital vintage-like printing halftones (the industry standard here is affinity, not the lame PSD). It is of course compatible with both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Sorry for the big size (over 400mb), it’s because all halftones and maps are ‘heavy’ (I didn’t want to ‘reduce’ them). I made all the files included here over the years, for halftone brushes and styles. The process is simple, and the user has complete control over the final result. I think the file is self-explanatory even for newer users. Instructions inside (and below).

Edit, for new users: to have greater control over dark go to “adjustments” / gradient map. It’s one of the most important adjustment, and I should have let it outside.

(If they’re too big please let me know and I will upload the files to mediafire)

Template is 5000px X 5000px.

A quick, soundless and boring video overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5A8C5vk3Fs

The resulting halftone file is pixel-perfect. There are two files available for download below, one with dot halftones and one with line halftones. They’re obviously intended for Affinity users only. Resulted images can be used for any purpose without any worries.

Maybe someone will find these useful. All the best!

35601C5C-087C-4048-B84C-D3415911DAB1.png

line_halftones.afdesign

dot_halftones.afdesign

Edited by iuli
Improved description

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

17 minutes ago, sbgraphic said:

Hi in this case i just tried in Photo

The document has Artboards, which removes the possibility of resizing the document. Each Artboard is, in a sense, an independent document with its own size.

Even in Designer you must resize the Artboards, instead.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The document has Artboards, which removes the possibility of resizing the document.

Not necessarily. In this case, deleting the artboard (select the artboard layer and press Delete in your keyboard keeping the objects when prompted if you want to do so) will allow you to resize the document via Document > Resize.

As I said in the description, the resulting file is pixel-perfect and can be exported at any larger size without loss of clarity. Resizing  the document, apart from the fact itself of trying "if it works", brings, in my opinion, no benefit.

The project is put in an artboard to facilitate cropping files of different proportions than square. Cropping this way is easier with both Photo and Designer. To use the cropping tool, one has to put all the content in an Archive first, which is an unwanted extra step (I think).

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

Hi, nice thank you for the update.

My concern about resizing the main document was more about, how could I define/know the halftone definition at a given print resolution (e.g. size of the halftone stitch) in order to see the effect properly or at a desired printed size, specially if you have multiple image at various size (or resolution). 
Now I better understand the fact that you first choose to frame one or multiple image around the desired effect, then you export the result (if I get properly). I have to play around a little and I guess it easier in Designer, i should tried in Designer first.

However, I am not sure to understand the meaning of "pixel-perfect" in this case.
Thanks again for this nice sharing give away ! 

By the way, the youtube link above is private so I cannot view it.