You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!

One point before to start this topic: you are doing a huge and great job!!! Yes! I'm in love with your softwares… Please go ahead in this way then!

So, I'm a professional publisher (book publisher) and daily user of Indesign since years ago. But, at least I don't want to be hocked with Adobe's subscription yet. I'm seeking for a viable alternative. Some years ago too I worked with an excellent software, Freehand, shamefully killed by Adobe (yes, again!). It's very late I'd found a nice alternative: Affinity Designer. 

What's my question of the day?

Will Affinity Publisher manage the footnotes as Indesign presently does? When I import a .docx file into ID (the word file has footnotes) ID can automatically import them. A precious feature I use everyday. 

If not I think that feature should be very useful in a near future. 

I don't doubt about your skill to implement that function in the further improvements 

Yours

• 4 weeks later...

Will Affinity Publisher manage the footnotes as Indesign presently does? When I import a .docx file into ID (the word file has footnotes) ID can automatically import them. A precious feature I use everyday. 

I would say that InDesign's handling of notes is rather poor. It has no facility for endnotes so I have to use InFnote from Virginia Systems. I don't expect Affinity Publisher to improve on InDesign in its first version but it would be nice to see support for endnotes at some stage.

• 4 years later...

Four years and nine months after this post, one has to wonder what "later" might mean.  When my gnarled arthritic hands can no longer use a keyboard?  In my next life, when I come back as a profoundly disappointed squirrel?  When every other serious document production app on earth supports footnotes (aka "today")?

Being new to the Affinity suite and this forum, I must confess my two-weeks-in reaction is "What have I gotten myself into?"  This is just one of many years-old requests for basic features.  Serif seems profoundly indifferent to the needs of its customers.  I am… distressed.

• 2 weeks later...

It's such a shame that Footnotes/Endnotes have not appears in Publisher because otherwise it seems like an excellent piece of software.. Footnotes/endnotes appears to be something people have been asking for for a very long time. Sadly it means I'm stuck with InDesign as I primarily design books and without footnotes I'm lost. I just (just!) purchased Publisher with the intent of working on the next book which is 85+ pages of text with about 150 footnotes only to find that Publisher doesn't support Word footnotes at all. I'm afraid I wish there were a way to ask for my money back.