You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All

I understand that Affinity photo does not have smart object creation.

The reason for my interest at the moment is to reduce file sizes

From my understanding PS smart object allow for photographs of huge resolution to be scaled down to be a more manageable file size but retain the abilit to scale up for creating large 300dpi prints.

So say,  to be able to work on a 2000x1000px canvas for photo bashing and manipulation, but be able to scale up to a large print output of up to 10000x5000 if required.

My (somewhat limited) understanding is this is an ideal use for smart objects in PS. But what do we do in Affinty?

Greatful for suggestions.

Thanks 

• Staff

The equivalent to smart objects in Affinity Photo is embedded documents. However unlike PS if you're inserting an object onto a canvas and resizing, commiting and then resizing again you will lose quality, unless you convert to a smart object. Using Affinity Photo you don't need to do any of that, it retains the image quality regardless of resizing and doesn't need converting.