You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Observation - Odd behaviour with the Text Wrap Panel

Situation.  APub, latest version.  In full screen mode.  Bring in a photo, click on the text box option and up pops the text wrap panel.  Enter the options, wrap around the photo, enter distance from text.  Close.  All good.

Import another photo.  Click on the icon for the text wrap panel and "nothing happens".  Click anywhere and the system beeps at you.  Excape does nothing.  Seems to be hung.  But, it isn't.  Go and leave full screen mode and the text wrap panel appears, and can be used.  

Seems to be an interesting "feature".  

Solution seems to not use full screen mode, or jump back and forth.  

System is a 2019 edition iMac, 27 inch, Monterey 12.2.1

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Can you tell us what you mean by “full screen mode”?

Sorry, click on the green dot in the upper left hand corner of the APub window, and it expands to fill the entire screen.  If this is called something else, I am trapped in terminology dating back into the Nineties and the introduction of a popular graphical operation system, as opposed to some of the Unix systems I once used.

Ah, that’s okay, thanks for clarifying.

I can’t remember what it’s called on Macs (it might be called full screen mode, someone may give the correct answer) but it’s generally called Maximised on Windows, which is why I didn’t recognise the term.

There have been requests for a “full screen mode” to be added to the Affinity applications which would enable them to run with no (or very minimal) UI, a bit like how you would do a presentation.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I can’t remember what it’s called on Macs (it might be called full screen mode, someone may give the correct answer) but it’s generally called Maximised on Windows

There *is* a "full screen mode" on the Mac, but it is an *actual* full-screen mode which hides the menu bar, title bar and dock along with any other applications to let you focus in on just that one.  Bumping the mouse against the top of the screen shows the menu bar and title bar temporarily.

The traditional Mac feature which corresponds to the Windows "maximize" behavior is called "Zoom".  Go back to before the full screen mode was added and the green button on the tile bar would trigger the zoom behavior; it still does for windows which do not support full screen mode (as is determined by the individual applications - some support it, others do not).  Now that full screen mode is available, if the window supports it, the green button activates full screen mode; holding down the option key while clicking on it gives you zoom instead.

In contrast to the maximize feature on Windows, which makes the window consume the entire screen regardless of content size, the zoom feature on the Mac essentially means to make the window as large as it needs to be to show the entire content, up to the limit of the size of the screen - so if the entire content of the window fits in a space which is only half the size of the screen, that is how large the window is supposed to become.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

As far as I know, none of the Affinity applications have anything with that name.

They actually do support the standard OS-provided full-screen mode on the Mac, as I described it above.

2 hours ago, dkenner said:

I will see if I can make one using my iPhone and send it.  

Press Shift+Cmd+5 and choose Record Entire Screen. Ctrl+Cmd+Esc to end recording.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208721

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 3/30/2022 at 4:36 PM, dkenner said:

Solution seems to not use full screen mode, or jump back and forth.  

I use the zoom to fit screen function, hold down the Option key when clicking the green dot. I still have the menubar but the screen is filled with the application's main window. I find the Mac's fullscreen mode to be fairly useless, good for looking at videos but not much else.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

29 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I use the zoom to fit screen function, hold down the Option key when clicking the green dot. I still have the menubar but the screen is filled with the application's main window. I find the Mac's fullscreen mode to be fairly useless, good for looking at videos but not much else.

This does seem to get around the issue, though [option]+[green dot] is relatively unknown, and I would postulate that most will just click the green dot to maximize the screen.  Thank you for this work around.